FAQ: Drawing and Coloring Shapes with p5.js - fill() and noFill()

This community-built FAQ covers the “fill() and noFill()” exercise from the lesson “Drawing and Coloring Shapes with p5.js”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Learn p5.js

FAQs on the exercise fill() and noFill()

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!
You can also find further discussion and get answers to your questions over in Language Help.

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head to Language Help and Tips and Resources. If you are wanting feedback or inspiration for a project, check out Projects.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions in Community

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it online, or post in Bug Reporting

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

I have a question, since I got stuck on this exercise: For 1 ), for example, I wanted to specifically change only the top left circle blue. But even in the solution to this exercise setting the fill to blue makes ALL the shapes turn blue. Which I thought was a mistake or fluke before checking out the solution. Why is this? Hopefully I’ll learn a slightly more advanced way later with P5 to target one specific shape and to not have all shapes of a sketch targeted by default with the first fill rule, for example. I completed this exercise but I was really hung up on targeting one specific shape (top left circle). Hopefully this question makes sense

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

You’re right, after Step 1, all the shapes will be the same color. The reason for this is that fill() was called in the beginning and not called with different arguments after the circle was drawn. As you complete the next steps in this exercise, you’ll see how calling fill() again allows you to change the color of the others as well so they each have unique colors.

Also, sneak peak, but in future lessons you’ll also learn other techniques for changing the colors and other attributes temporarily.

1 Like