FAQ: Data Types - Introduction to Data Types

This community-built FAQ covers the “Introduction to Data Types” exercise from the lesson “Variables and Data Types”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Learn How To Code

FAQs on the exercise Introduction to Data Types

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Can we say that Primitive data types are like the basics things that all human beings can do, but in this case it will be the functions that are inbuilt within the computer?

2 Likes

I suppose that’s one way interpreting it.:thinking:

2 Likes

On my evaluate function, what’s the meaning of the Outoput equals to 1?

1 Like

As I understand it, the output is the expected answer of the function - in this case, it is a Boolean value where 1 = True and 0 = False.

5 Likes

Out of curiosity, why doesn’t the Capitalise function turn True into TRUE? How does it know the difference between a Boolean value and a string/word?

10 Likes

I would like to know the answer to your question as well.

I think “True” is a predefined word in programming.

Welcome to the forums!

You’re correct in that True can have a different meaning in programming. In this exercise, True is a boolean. However, be careful, as "True", with the quotation marks, is a string, not a boolean.

Booleans in programming are either true or false. They are written differently in different languages (True and False in Python, true and false in many C-family languages, etc.) Other data types can also be evaluated as booleans (1 is true and 0 is false, a non-empty string is true, an empty string is false, etc.)

11 Likes