FAQ: CSS Typography - Font-Face III

Hi @natriks

I’d suggest trying single-quotes and trying without quotes at all.

Tried that, nothing.
The most interesting, however, is that “View Solution” option gave me the same answer I initially wrote.
Might be a bug?

1 Like

Hmm, can you send your full code? Maybe the link to the font was messed up somehow.

Thank you @saalr for your explanation of relative path. Did I miss this somehow? Or did they never actually explain it? I couldn’t understand why it was sometimes no periods, sometimes one period, sometimes more. If only they had explained that I wouldn’t have gotten so stuck.

I was having same doubts mate, that’s why i came here.It seems like they still haven’t fixed the error on this page.

1 Like

Thank you! I had no idea where to find the directory either!

In case anyone is wondering in 2020, there still seems to be issues submitting the solutions for instructions 2 and 3. I’ve compared what I’ve written multiple times with the provided solutions and they look identical but never let me move on, even after going through all different combinations of quotation marks.

If you get the concept and have done all the extra reading on this forum, don’t get too hung up on the check mark, just hit that ‘solution’ button and head to the next lesson!

2 Likes

I totally agree, I normally breeze past each exercise, however this one seemed to have conflicting infromation within it and with external sources. I had to click for the solution, which is annoying!

1 Like

Hey Codecademy staff/person whose job it is to maintain this lesson. Please take no offense, but, like many other people who posted in this thread I found the lesson to not be educational or instructive in the normal sense. I learned more from this thread than the lesson. Therefore, someone there please do attend to your job(even though this is the ‘free stuff’) and manipulate some text to clarify and make this lesson better to understand and complete by just reading the lesson and following the instructions. I figured out the the local directory a while back as my first computer was a commodore64 and interacting with a computer at the command line was how I was first exposed/introduced to computers. This is 2020 people grew up on windows and have no clue that a command line even exists so that they would have never navigated a computers’ file structures this way ok? All they know is the various file managers of Windows or EZ Linux(think Ubuntu). I remember clearly when I was able to to use this file manager named ‘Midnight Commander’ on the C64 machine I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread lol. Please don’t get mad or misunderstand I really do appreciate being able to learn what I am able to here. This HTML/CSS stuff isn’t programming, but, it is coding in a programmatic way and I will continue onwards simply because I would like to have the knowledge to be able to either a.) maintain my own server or b.) work for someone doing the same. Have a good day!

3 Likes

this lesson has to be corrected:

no indication where the folder is
for the first time, inverted commas are mandatory
no explanation on what “format” is.

I spent awhile trying to do this lesson. I gave up and asked for the solution and it was the same as what I had typed. I only typed what I did after looking here. No matter how I tried to change the code I couldn’t get a correct solution. This lesson seriously needs to be reworked. :confused:

You’ve saved me many hours of frustration, thank you!

Thank you so much for this! I was so confused! This lesson really should be updated to explain better. Yes, it can be rewarding to figure something out on your own, but how frustrating is it for them to ask you to do something they never taught!

I agree with you! I have been using Windows my entire life and only know that file explorer. I just recently took a Linux class using a command prompt to navigate and drew the …/ comparison from that class. Yes, they should assume that people don’t have a concept of thinking in files that way. I still have yet to find that fonts directory. Where is it and how do I view it? the lesson simply said " In the fonts/ directory, you’ll notice that we have added several local font files." Ummmm…notice this where exactly? How do I find this directory?

Hello fellow coders! I think this is a new question on this thread:

This lesson gives three ways to use an external font on a website. Why would I want to use one specific way instead of another? (For example, is there a reason I would want to go through the trouble of making a font file in my project for a font when all I have to do is include a link?)

1 Like
  1. Imagine a situation: the site to which your link lead goes down. Maybe even forever! When you host your font by yourself, you don’t have to rely on remote server.

2. Other case: you have a self-made font that exists only on your computer and you want to use it on your website. You’ll have to upload it by yourself.

1 Like

I came here to leave this comment. But now I see I’m not the first one here, and things haven’t changed since Dec '18.

On the bright side, I had to read all this thread and eventually found out how all the dots work

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks, ohray!

1 Like

Task3.
Using the selector that targets the paragraph nested within the banner class, add the font family Glegoo and a font size of 20px .
Reload the page to see the changes in the browser.

and
my codes below… and task 3 doesn’t pass me.

@font-face {
  font-family: 'Glegoo';
  src: url(../fonts/Glegoo-Regular.ttf) format('truetype');
}

.banner p {
  font-weight: bold;
  border-top: 1px solid #fff;
  border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;
  padding: 10px;
  color: #ffffff;
  line-height: 1.4;
  font-family: 'Glegoo';
  font-size: 20px;
}

does anyone can help me?

i have no idea…
i ask for solution and it says.

@font-face {
  font-family: "Glegoo";
  src: url(../fonts/Glegoo-Regular.ttf) format('truetype');
}

.banner p {
  border-top: 1px solid #fff;
  border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;
  padding: 10px;
  color: #ffffff;
  font-weight: bold;
  line-height: 1.4;
  font-family: "Glegoo";
  font-size: 20px;
}

what is difference?

their version has double quote marks around the font name, however yours only has single quotation marks.