FAQ: Container Components From Presentational Components - Review

This community-built FAQ covers the “Review” exercise from the lesson “Container Components From Presentational Components”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Web Development

Learn React

FAQs on the exercise Review

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!
You can also find further discussion and get answers to your questions over in Language Help.

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head to Language Help and Tips and Resources. If you are wanting feedback or inspiration for a project, check out Projects.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions in Community

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it online, or post in Bug Reporting

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Hi,
I was just wondering something about this approach. How does this factor into the create-react-app framework? When we make a react app it creates index.js which renders App.js through ReactDom, the App.js containing the bulk of the code.

Would you export GuineaPigContainer.js to App.js which would export it to Index.js? Or would you export GuineaPigs.js to App.js which would export it to Index.js? Or would you export both? Or change the names? What is best practice here?

Scaling this up, if we have several of these container/ presentational components how would we collect these together in the App.js?

Any help would be appreciated!

A bit disappointing that the Front-End-Engineer path was just updated this year but Codecademy is still linking articles from 2015. Dan Abramov shared this update in the Medium article that was linked:

Update from 2019: I wrote this article a long time ago and my views have since evolved. In particular, I don’t suggest splitting your components like this anymore. If you find it natural in your codebase, this pattern can be handy. But I’ve seen it enforced without any necessity and with almost dogmatic fervor far too many times. The main reason I found it useful was because it let me separate complex stateful logic from other aspects of the component. Hooks let me do the same thing without an arbitrary division. This text is left intact for historical reasons but don’t take it too seriously.

1 Like