FAQ: Code Challenges - Code Challenge

This community-built FAQ covers the “Code Challenge” exercise from the lesson “Code Challenges”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Web Development

Learn Express

FAQs on the exercise Code Challenge

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Typo in instructions:

Create a route handler with mountainRangesHandler to send back the mountainRanges array in response to a GET /mountainRanges request.

but it should be app.use(’/mountain-ranges’, mountainRangesRouter)

Can’t say for certain but surely Express.js recognizes camelCase and converts to hypenated.

No, it’s not. And there’s no reason why it should be converted by default.

Can’t think of an example right now but I’m sure we come across this in React.js. Pity I’ve not gone down that road very far and dipped my toes into the water so many months ago. For all I know it could have been Rails. No real matter. Maybe a coach will pipe in on this topic being as it is in the Guide.

I faced the same issue too. I was about to write about it before I saw your post here.
I did some research about whether Express converts cameCase to hyphenated or not, I couldn’t find anything about this. I would be surprised if it does this by default.

@bolonia & @alial-hajji520410814, You guys are right, express does not convert it by default, so in cases like this it would leave the camel casing on the url:
40%20AM
Is it bad? Well, yes, best practices require us to hyphenate our URL routes, so in my example, I should have:
/planets-in/venus
As you two may already know, the reason behind hyphen is because it makes the site “crawlable” which will place it farther up in the search (more visibility) when a person queries for related content to your site or API, and we use a hyphen for that because it is not a word character and you do not need to implement any special keys to get it.
We will be checking to update the examples.

As SEs are concerned, there is no difference between,

crop-circles

and,

crop_circles

and,

crop%20circles

They all equal the same thing when the alpha text is resolved.

crop circles