FAQ: Code Challenge: Loops - Over 9000

But I only want to run the for loop as long as the sum is < 9000. So the for loop runs while sum <9000. I can make it work by taking out the “while” and using “if sum > 9000 // break” instead, but I want to understand why the “while” approach is wrong?

it doesn’t work like that. The for loop will make all its iterations (loop over all elements in list)

1 Like

The instructions state:

The function should sum the elements of the list until the sum is greater than 9000 .

Therefore, if sum has reached exactly 9000 and there are still additional elements to process, we’re not done yet. A common source of software bugs is failure to account for edge cases.

Hi all,

I’m looking for some feedback on my answer here. My code returns the right answer, but I ALSO get the error “list index out of range”. What do I need to improve in my code? Any feedback is appreciated! Thank you!

#Write your function here
def over_nine_thousand(lst):
  count = lst[0]
  indice = 1
  while(count < 9000 and indice < len(lst)):
    count += lst[indice]
    indice += 1
  else: return count

#Uncomment the line below when your function is done
print(over_nine_thousand([8000, 900, 120, 5000]))

The exercise might have a test-case/corner case where you get an empty list. Which would a problem for your code

hi, i wonder why the second one is not working.
why is it indentation error?

Hey i am wondering why these are not correct:

1:
    sum=0
    for n in lst:
        sum+=n
        if sum >= 9000 and len(lst)>0:
            break
            return sum    
The output will be none instead of 9020.

2:
    sum=0
    for n in lst:
        sum+=n
        if sum >= 9000 and len(lst)>0:
            break
        return sum    
This one would be 8000.

Can someone explain why these two scripts are wrong? From my perspective, they are the same as the correct solution.

they are absolutely not the same as the solution. Both don’t cover the edge case of an empty list. If the list is empty, the loop never runs, so the return keywords are never reached

in the first example, break would break the loop, so again, the return keyword isn’t reached.

its important to understand that when a return keyword is reached, data is handed back to the caller which signals the function is done executing

so in your second code sample, the return keyword is reached in the first iteration of the loop, handing back the sum of the first value.

1 Like

This was my code for the Over 9000 exercise:

sum1 = 0
  for num in lst:
    if sum1 <= 9000:
      sum1 += num
    elif sum1 > 9000:
      return sum1
    elif len(lst) == 0:
      return 0

I get the correct output for the exercise, yet this message appears at the bottom:

“over_nine_thousand([8000, 900]) should have returned 8900, and it returned None”

Thus, I am not able to progress. I checked the code in my terminal and achieved the same output.

The troubleshooting I tried involved attempting to print the value of “sum1”. The value would not print, however, no matter where I put the print command and no matter the indentation I tried, so my troubleshooting hit a brick wall (as far as trying to get the output to reveal any clues for me goes).

Try running the code in your head for the input given in the error message. The SCT for the exercise tests input other than the list given in the print statement. What happens when you only have a list with [8000, 900]? The message states that it should return 8900 which is correct, no? Your code returns None for that input. If you follow what happens with your finger or in your head, you’ll see that None is returned. If the code inside a function is finished executing without a return statement being executed, the function implicitly returns None.