FAQ: Code Challenge: Aggregate Functions - Code Challenge 8

This community-built FAQ covers the “Code Challenge 8” exercise from the lesson “Code Challenge: Aggregate Functions”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Web Development
Data Science

FAQs on the exercise Code Challenge 8

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Why does the solution require the definition of AVG(amount) AS ‘amount’ ? Why is the code not accepted as simply
SELECT AVG(amount)
FROM payments
WHERE status = ‘paid’;

1 Like

As far as I can tell you don’t need AS 'amount. I used the same code you did and got a success.

Correct, you do not need to use AS 'alias' to generate a result. Using AS just renames a column or table with an alias.

Can someone explaing why when I queried including user_id it only returned the user_id for ‘125’? The average that was provided for this one user id was 18.5362718138556. This is the exact same number that was provided for the query without user_id. I am somewhat confused that the user id for one user can be the same as for the whole table?

SELECT user_id, AVG(amount)
FROM payments
WHERE status = ‘paid’;

SELECT AVG(amount)
FROM payments
WHERE status = ‘paid’;

Hi there I wanted to say I disagree with the answer for this question, mainly due to common sense. Yes

Would give you the right answer for the average amount however if I were to be showing this to something on the business side of things I would want to change it to

SELECT ROUND (AVG(amount), 2)
FROM payments
WHERE status = ‘paid’;

The reason being is that you can not have .003627… cents.

VALID This community-built FAQ covers the “Code Challenge 8” exercise from the lesson “Code Challenge: Aggregate Functions”.