FAQ: Circuit Playground: Part 1 - NeoPixels: Part 1

This community-built FAQ covers the “NeoPixels: Part 1” exercise from the lesson “Circuit Playground: Part 1”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Learn Hardware Programming with CircuitPython

FAQs on the exercise NeoPixels: Part 1

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

1 Like

I completed the steps and downloaded the code.py file then put it on the circuitpy drive but even after waiting several minutes nothing ever lit up. The LEDs did light up all green when I first started, any suggestions?

I’ve tried pressing the reset button a few times which erased the circuitpy files then I re copied over the code file but still nothing

The same thing happened to me also. I downloaded the Mu editor and got it to work though.
https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-circuitpython/creating-and-editing-code

I had the same problem. After reading the link that jpenna1983 suggested, before I installed mu, I decided to try to ‘force’ a code push to the Circuit Playground by Ejecting the CIRCUITPY disk.

Between that and making sure the import command was all one line (even though it looks like returns are placed in it in the example), it worked for me.

I think I will still try mu, because it may smooth out some problems IDLE or other python editors may have with this particular hardware. I am using a Mac at the moment, and it seems that with Linux there can be a 30 second delay before the code is pushed onto the device, and even 90 seconds on windows, so I just lucked out choosing the Mac first for this. Good luck! It’s nice when tinkering works out . . .

Be aware that if you do multiple fixes Windows will download the files as code (1).py, code (2).py etc. and the CPX doesn’t understand the bad file name with the space and parenthesis. Remove them and the file will run.