FAQ: Building with Bootstrap - The Jumbotron

This community-built FAQ covers the “The Jumbotron” exercise from the lesson “Building with Bootstrap”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Make a Website

FAQs on the exercise The Jumbotron

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Hey! I am doing this for the first time, so forgive any mistakes.

I am currenyly doing the “building with bootstrap” lesson and couldn’t help wondering: is what I am currently doing “inline CSS”? As all the customisations seem to be done on the HTML page and not the external css one.

Thanks for any replies!

1 Like

From the lesson overview page (can’t find the link!), the image of the 12-column grid included .col-span-3 class names. Since these are classes that Bootstrap gives CSS for, you assign the class and the CSS to make it span 3 columns happens.

It should work just the same as if you wrote the styling in your own CSS file for
.col-span-3 {column-span: 3;} yourself, right? (My apologies for any syntax errors!)

I’m just a noob too, so same disclaimer here: I could be totally wrong.
If we’re assigning classes like ‘text-right’ and ‘row’, I expect these are also styled to match.

.text-right {
  align-text: right;
}
/* and */
.row {
  row-span: 100%; /* tho this one feels incorrect */
}

(These might need to be some grid ‘justify-item’ -type declaration in the parent container. I’m still struggling with CSS grids generally, tbf.)

I think it isn’t inline CSS since we’re not applying any styles in the HTML, we’re just applying class properties. These act like shorthand styling so it’s more like linking to a stylesheet (like regular CSS you write yourself) than adding style as a property?

Inline CSS would be:
<div style="font-weight: bold;"> ... </div>

(<element style="property: value;"> is roughly correct! I checked with a coworker.)