FAQ: Build Your First Alexa Skill - Service Simulator II

This community-built FAQ covers the “Service Simulator II” exercise from the lesson “Build Your First Alexa Skill”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Introduction to Alexa

FAQs on the exercise Service Simulator II

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

I don’t see ‘JSON Input’ or ‘JSON Output’ in test tab. I only see ‘Skill I/O is available only for speech requests to skills you have created.’ (which is seen in the video as well but disappears once there is a request)

I do get output for what’s asked in the Simulator tab but, don’t see the text content to view request and response.

i am facing a similar problem, did you manage to find a fix for it? i presume its because we didnt actually implement the lambda function ourselves but rather just copied the ARN endpoints.

Hello

When I input >> “tell code academy hello”

I get this reply >> “I solemnly swear I am up to no good, White Family”

I checked all my current enable skills and the only one that is active is the one I created in this exercise but is called > White Family

I disabled this skill and repeated this exercise 3 times and this is what I get.

Also I get this >>Skill I/O is available only for speech requests to skills you have created.is >> " and >> “previous rendered templates are not available to view.” on the Json and Lambda boxes.

Is this normal?

thanx

1 Like

Yep, same problem. Any answer on this?

Bump, same issue here

Hey @mr.replicant, @nejjy, and @bytecoder84128, thanks for reporting! I’m a Curriculum Developer here and I’d like to help out.

Before fixing anything, I need to reproduce the issue. Could you each share:

1. The exact ARN you are using on the developer portal
  2. The JSON code shown under “JSON Editor”
  3. The utterance you typed to get that response

Here are mine:

1. The exact ARN you are using on the developer portal You can find this under the Endpoint page
    arn:aws:lambda:us-east-1:151096212661:function:codecademyLearnAlexaIntro-ii

2. The JSON code shown under “JSON Editor”
    nicks_model.txt (1.0 KB)

3. The utterance you typed to get that response
    “tell code academy hello”

I am receiving the same so I decided to push through to the next lesson: “Create a New Intent”, but I believe that has been altered as well. When testing “ask code academy what’s my favorite language”, it returns no content. Can we get a notification when the course is back online? Thanks!

1 Like

And here are mine as well:
ARN being used: arn:aws:lambda:us-east-1:151096212661:function:codecademyLearnAlexaIntro-ii
JSON being used: https://justpaste.it/3m6l8
Utterance that returns odd response: “open code academy”, “tell code academy hello”

Thanks @bytecoder84128! I found the issue and I’m working with the Alexa team to fix it.

Any updates on “Skill I/O is available only for speech requests to skills you have created.” ? Still not able to see the JSON input / output

1 Like

I was experiencing the same problem and came here hoping to find an answer. I looked at the list of enabled skills on my amazon account and found one entitled “White Family Code Academy”. I disabled it from my alexa phone app as I couldn’t get it to disable from the web broswer. After it was disabled my own changes to the lambda response was recognized. Hopefully the Code Academy team can figure out a permanent solution but I thought I’d let you know how I got around it.

I don’t see the “White Family Code Academy” skill listed in my account but I’m still getting “I solemnly swear I am up to no good, White Family” as a response.

I was hoping it was a quick fix but no luck as of yet.

I have the same issue - I don’t understand why there is still reference to White Family? did you solve the problem?

@nduckwiler

Guys, I had the same issue only showing me ‘Skill I/O is available only for speech requests to skills you have created.’

I figured out the reason behind this error.
My anti-virus software, avanst was blocking all the connections that the Alexa simulator was attempting to do in the browser.

You can check it out from the dev tool in your browser.
There’s a bunch of errors with access denied.

Just turning off the web shield from avanst worked.
Now, I see the response from the test and JSON response as well.

Hi All, I just figured out why we keep getting the white family code academy responses. It looks like someone, presumably the White family, created a public skill that’s essentially identical to the one we build in our lessons. So that skill keeps getting triggered rather than the one we’ve built.

You can disable the white family codeacademy skill by telling Alexa “disable white family code academy” in the test tab or on your Alexa device. Once it’s disabled your skill will work.

Hey all!

Issue 1: White Family Code Academy
It sounds like a number of people are having the “White Family Code Academy” issue, including @bitwhiz35879, @sjnelson919gmail.com, @wannerj44, and @n8tedoggyt5966891611.

While I work on a permanent solution, there are two workarounds:

1. Like @n8tedoggyt5966891611 said, disable that White Family skill:

It looks like someone, presumably the White family, created a public skill that’s essentially identical to the one we build in our lessons. So that skill keeps getting triggered rather than the one we’ve built.

You can disable the white family codeacademy skill by telling Alexa “disable white family code academy” in the test tab or on your Alexa device. Once it’s disabled your skill will work.

1. Change the name of your own skill. Instead of “code academy”, try something unique like “nick first project” or “super fabulous highly effective machine”. It’s silly I know, but it means that Alexa won’t accidentally find a skill with a similar name.

Issue 2: Anti-virus software
There is another problem that @schabibi had, in which anti-virus software was blocking the Alexa simulator. You might be experiencing this if you receive a message: “Skill I/O is available only for speech requests to skills you have created.”…I’m having trouble reproducing this one myself, but @schabibi solved it by disabling the anti-virus software.

Guys, I had the same issue only showing me ‘Skill I/O is available only for speech requests to skills you have created.’

I figured out the reason behind this error.
My anti-virus software, avanst was blocking all the connections that the Alexa simulator was attempting to do in the browser.

You can check it out from the dev tool in your browser.
There’s a bunch of errors with access denied.

Just turning off the web shield from avanst worked.
Now, I see the response from the test and JSON response as well.

Upon testing the skill in the console itself I get the following error
Sorry, I’m having trouble accessing your Codecademy Skill right now
Input: Open code academy

My suggested fix to the first issue (use a unique invocation) is now added to the lessons! You’ll see that the lessons now ask you to use an invocation like “Nick D’s code academy” instead of the generic “code academy”.