FAQ: Browser Compatibility and Transpilation - Introduction

This community-built FAQ covers the “Introduction” exercise from the lesson “Browser Compatibility and Transpilation”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Introduction To JavaScript

FAQs on the exercise Introduction

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

Hi.
i want to know if now in 2019 are still there browser compatibility issues, do i still need to learn this ?

1 Like

Hello!

A few questions:

Do programmers use ES6 as a kind of syntactic sugar? Or are there concepts in ES6 that are unique to ES6 only - as in, the concept itself, not the way you write it.

I understand how ES6 is much easier to work with and takes up less memory, so does converting it into ES5 change the memory size as well?

When will there be a time (if there is a time) where ES6 is accepted by most browsers? Has this already happened?

Thank you

1 Like

ES6 is accepted by most browsers. The main exception seems to be IE11. You may find this chart helpful:
https://kangax.github.io/compat-table/es6/

2 Likes

i can’t go to the babel javascript ES6 to ES5 site it but keeps sending me to babbel the language learning site.

Yes. Not everyone has the latest browsers. So keeping that in mind, we should transpile our code to lower versions for wider browser support. Also, suppose you wrote beautiful ES6 js code in your website. You launched your website. If your code is not supported by the end user’s browser, it will be not render the desired results you wanted to display.