FAQ: Aggregates in R - Calculating Aggregate Functions II

This community-built FAQ covers the “Calculating Aggregate Functions II” exercise from the lesson “Aggregates in R”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Learn R

FAQs on the exercise Calculating Aggregate Functions II

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!
You can also find further discussion and get answers to your questions over in #get-help.

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head to #get-help and #community:tips-and-resources. If you are wanting feedback or inspiration for a project, check out #project.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions in #community

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it online, or post in #community:Codecademy-Bug-Reporting

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

I have been working on this exercise for a while and entered this code:

shoe_counts <- orders %>%
group_by(shoe_type, shoe_color) %>%
summarize(count = n())
shoe_counts

but I keep getting an error that says " Did you group_by() the shoe_type and shoe_color columns and call summarize() , finding the count n() of rows in each group, and save the result to shoe_counts ?"

When I ask for the solution, this is the code it supplies:

shoe_counts <- orders %>%
group_by(shoe_type, shoe_color) %>%
summarize(count = n())
shoe_counts

It looks the same to me. Could someone explain what the issue is? Thanks!

Similar problem like 1 task back - the task is not defined well. System refuses to accept my solution:

shoe_prices <- orders %>%
  group_by(shoe_type, shoe_material) %>%
  summarize(mean_prices = mean(price, na.rm = TRUE))
shoe_prices

and when clicking "give me the right solution, I get:

shoe_prices <- orders %>%
  group_by(shoe_type, shoe_material) %>%
  summarize(mean_price = mean(price, na.rm = TRUE))
shoe_prices

The code is the same - except the name assigned to the calculated aggregate. But the name we are supposed to use was not stated anywhere in the instructions and that cannot be any problem as I get the right solution with any other name.

7 Likes

+1 also experiencing this, codecademy grading kept failing 'til i changed the custom variable name to exactly ‘mean_price’

2 Likes

Faced the same issue here. Took me a good 5 minutes to figure it out

2 Likes

I dared to write price_mean instead of mean_price and also got stuck. Which really sucks, because this is just guesswork about what exactly they expect you to write… I had a similar problem before with missing an ‘s’ somewhere - it still worked because it wasn’t a mistype an it was me defining that variable, but the system just wouldn’t accept it… so yeah, be really careful about following the instructions and don’t be shy about taking the hints, because you often have no other way to get through…

2 Likes