FAQ: Advanced CSS Grid - Justify Content

This community-built FAQ covers the “Justify Content” exercise from the lesson “Advanced CSS Grid”.

Paths and Courses
This exercise can be found in the following Codecademy content:

Learn CSS

FAQs on the exercise Justify Content

There are currently no frequently asked questions associated with this exercise – that’s where you come in! You can contribute to this section by offering your own questions, answers, or clarifications on this exercise. Ask or answer a question by clicking reply (reply) below.

If you’ve had an “aha” moment about the concepts, formatting, syntax, or anything else with this exercise, consider sharing those insights! Teaching others and answering their questions is one of the best ways to learn and stay sharp.

Join the Discussion. Help a fellow learner on their journey.

Ask or answer a question about this exercise by clicking reply (reply) below!

Agree with a comment or answer? Like (like) to up-vote the contribution!

Need broader help or resources? Head here.

Looking for motivation to keep learning? Join our wider discussions.

Learn more about how to use this guide.

Found a bug? Report it!

Have a question about your account or billing? Reach out to our customer support team!

None of the above? Find out where to ask other questions here!

What is the difference between using ‘space-between’ in justify-content, and just setting up grid-gaps when setting the grid template?

As far as I can understand, the “space-between” value will distribute the space between the gaps evenly to fit 100% of the grid container. Assigning “grid-gap” properties could result in an overflow (depending on how large the values are) so content might go out from the container area.
Hope that helps.

1 Like

Does using “stretch” give the same result as “start” always or that is only obtainable in this exercise. Thanks.

What is the difference between justify-items and justify-contents?

1 Like

First of all, it’s actually justify-content not justify-contents. Second, justify-items controls the horizontal position of the grid items themselves while justify-content controls the horizontal position of the grid itself

2 Likes

Am I correct when I state that “justify-item” has no effect/is useless, if I use “justify-content” on top of it?

If I used grid-gap, do I have to use, space-between to create space between elements?

:slight_smile:

From what I understand when I tried it using the gap and space-between, when you use the gap, the grid is not going to be reponsive, its going to cause an overflow. But when you use space-between (and other values for the Justify-content), the grid is going to be responsive and there’s no going to be an overflow

justify-content as described in the first paragraph:

In the previous exercise, we learned how to position elements within their columns. In this exercise, we will learn how to position a grid within its parent element.

We can use justify-content to position the entire grid along the row axis

I found it a bit confusing in regards to what are we positioning with justify-content. Is it the Grid itself (‘Main’) inside the parent (.container), or is it the columns inside the grid?

I guess “justify-items” placed items(our recipes) to the center within the grid but "justify-content’ placed grid to the center of its parent, in our case, container,body etc.

1 Like