Factorial?!

:confused: When was a factorial function taught in the course? :confounded:
This lesson is supposed to help to brush up on things we've learned isn't it?:disappointed:

https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/python-intermediate-en-rCQKw/0/5?curriculum_id=4f89dab3d788890003000096#

Replace this line with your code.

I can't pass this lesson, because I can't understand what factorial is?:sob:

https://www.mathsisfun.com/numbers/factorial.html

Thanks. I now understand something that can help me in high school. :smile:

But how is it applied in Python :confused:

Factorial is a growth function. It is most common in probability math, in the form of permutations and combinations. Of course the factorial form of the equation is derived from a, get ready, Newtonian equation, the binomial theorem.

What has this to do with Python? Nothing. Can we apply it using Python? Yes. Python is great for doing math. It doesn't reveal all its prowess until we place those demands on our programs. If you want to do Math with Python, then learn Math, apart from Python, or programming altogether.

When you learn Python as another layer apart from any discipline it's simpler to define the tools we learn. Then any math problem is simple to put into program terms because we understand the math and know what to expect. We write code that meets those expectations, then prove it is correct.

When we Google what factorial is, we discover that at this point we do have the tools and the background learning we need to complete this task. Remember, self-learning means having an aggregate of informational sources, only one of which is CC.

Learning concepts is one thing; practicing is another entirely. It means stretching and pushing the envelope. It means looking into things so we get the complete picture. Now we can really practice. No professor will give us everything. Nor can we expect it here. We have to fill in the blanks and eliminate the voids. It's on us.

First things first what are permutations?! Newtonian equation? I'm learning math, but I haven't reached that level just yet :slight_smile:. But I can

Combinations and Permutations
Binomial theorem

We do not introduce recursive functions in these courses.

These concepts are usually explored in around grade 11, and probably only in matriculation math. It might be touched upon in general math, but won't be fully explored, and nor will probability.

Permutations are arrangements. Given a jar of marbles, say 5 red, 7 green, 9 yellow and 11 blue, how many different ways can we arrange them? Don't try to answer. It's tricky.

Combinations are selections. If you are familiar with a lottery, say 6-49, how many ways can we draw 6 numbers from 49? Again, don't try to answer but it will be somewhere around 14 million.

Newton's binomial theorem relates to polynomial expransions, and in the case of the above, the expansion of (x + y) ^ n. If you are weak in algebra, then these concepts (and probability) will wear you down even further. There is a reason these are not covered in general maths.

I have finally learnt it :astonished: :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.