Explanation requested for failure of else statement

is_prime

Why does prime 2 give a return value of "none"?

I know that removing the last else and placing the "return True" under the "for" will make this work, but I don't understand why the else statement doesn't catch prime 2?

def is_prime(x):
    if x <= 0:
        return False
    elif x == 1:
        return False
    elif x > 1:
        for n in range(2, x):
            if x % n == 0:
                return False
            else:
                return True

This is because range works as an exclusive range. If you have range(2,5), the numbers in this range are 2,3 and 4. So if you have range(2,x) and you substitute x = 2, you get range(2,2), which is empty, so it will just skip the for loop in its entirety.

To fix this, you could change the range to range(2, x+1), so you also take the number itself.

Now it will return an answer. You'll have to check if this is the correct answer (hint: I don't think so :smile:). Try finding why it might not work precisely, if you can't figure it out: feel free to ask.

Thanks for the explanation nicoekkart and I understand why x+1 isn't appropriate.
However, on further investigation I found 9 falls through to the else statement and gives a True return value, but is handled correctly when the else statement is removed as described in original post, now that really is confusing. I repeated the experiment 5 times as it didn't make sense, and was sure it was must be my error, but the anomaly was confirmed.

So guess I'm asking why 9 is divisible by 3 in one instance but not the other??

Here's the two outputs:
[robster@dos5 Code]$ python2 prime.py
False
[robster@dos5 Code]$ python2 else_prime.py
True

When the if statement does not return False it immediately returns True. This is the error. The loop needs to complete without returning False, and only then the function can return True.

Thank you mtf, sorry for my stupidity..just having trouble with the logic of the loops. Once I can graphically visualise the process my 60+ year old brain should be fine :blush:

You're not alone, then. Seems I'm continually having to relearn...

If you want to find these errors yourself, try simulating the code flow. Print statements can help here. If you for instance adapt the code to:

def is_prime(x):
    if x <= 0:
        print(x, " is smaller than 0")
        return False
    elif x == 1:
        print(x, " is equal to 1")
        return False
    elif x > 1:
        print(x, " is bigger than 1")
        for n in range(2, x + 1):
            print("checking divisibility of ", x, " by ", n)
            if x % n == 0:
                print(x, " is divisible by ", n)
                return False
            else:
                print(x, " is not divisible by ", n)
                return True

If you run this code with 9, you get the following:

9  is bigger than 1
checking divisibility of  9  by  2
9  is not divisible by  2
True

I which you can see that it doesn't even check for 3. This means that there is a stop of the program, before it should stop, which means you are returning too early.