Explaination regarding reducers in Redux

Question regarding this lesson: https://www.codecademy.com/paths/full-stack-engineer-career-path/tracks/fscp-redux/modules/core-concepts-in-redux/lessons/core-concepts-in-redux/exercises/reducers

Basically, I know what is a reducer: It defines how the current state and action are used in combination to create a new state. I have gone through this lesson and was stuck on figuring out what is action.payload & action.type ? What will action.payload & action.type perform?

Can anyone explain what is the above? Thanks in advance.

PS: From my point of view, I felt like the course didn’t really give you a detailed explanation of what a particular code does which leads to poorly crafted course. Also, there is a spelling mistake which is on Task 2. 'songs/AddSong' should be 'songs/addSong'.

One thing that may be good for deeper understanding is to go to a site using Redux, open up Redux Dev-tools, and select the Action tab, then select Raw format. Now you will see the action which is basically a JS-object. Try selecting a few different actions from the list to the left in Redux-dev-tools to see how they change data over time.

The action.type property is a string (like ‘products/addProduct’) and determines what the Redux reducer should do with the data (add a product, remove a product or similar) and is referenced in the switch-statement from the link you provided. The data (which will update the state) is stored in action.payload and that data is used by the reducer to update the state.

Personally, I think Redux Toolkit makes the whole experience better by abstracting away some of the more lengthy code but I can see the benefit in have some basic lessons that are not using RTK as well. As a supplement, the tutorials on the official Redux website are also good and there is one without RTK and one with.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.