Exercises 6. and 8. - Common problems

If you want to troubleshoot your code before you post in the forum, here are the most common errors in these two exercises.

HTML problems

• Do not include a link to font.css, that was just an example, there is not a file by that name available to you in these exercises
  • Do include a link to main.css. Without that, none of your CSS code is being loaded. You should be able to see evidence of this in your web preview window, for example, your nav links will not be uppercase and they will be blue instead of black.
  • Do include a link to shift.css, this is a link to the font that we will be using.
  • Make sure your link to shift.css works. This is very easy to check - try to go to it with your browser and see if you get an error. If you see an error when you do that, then you do not have the correct link. The link given in the exercise is correct but often people misread it, mistype it, or don't see all of it because it is off the screen, in which case you can drag over it with your mouse to see it all.

CSS problems

• Are each of your property: value; lines formatted just like that - with a colon after the property and a semicolon after the last value? See the image below for examples.
  • Do you have { } around each of your sets of property/values like in the image below? Leaving out or misplacing just one of those will affect everything after it.

If you have messy code it is going to be harder to spot one of the above mistakes, both for you and for anyone else reading your work

Other

• The browser might be in an unstable state: reload/refresh the web page.
  • The exercise might be in an unstable state: use the Reset Code button and start the exercise again.
  • If you have another web browser, check to see if the problem exists there too.

Still Getting an Error?

Start a new topic in this forum (if you haven't already), and post these two things in it:

1. All of your CSS code -- that means everything in your main.css file
  2. The <head> ... </head> from your index.html file

Here is a link describing how to post code in this forum

6. Jumbotron: Fonts
What am I doing wrong? CSS Styling #8
I can't get past Exercise 8
Help With: 8:Learn More:Heading
8. Can you help me? I don't know what I did wrong
Issues with tutorial 8 — Learn More: Heading
I just can't get step 6 right
I cant complete step 6 on Make a website: CSS Styling
Problem finishing the problem 6
What am I doing wrong? CSS Styling #8
Jumbotron h1 selector, set font-family to 'Shift', sans-serif doesnt work
Excersise six html jumbotron fonts
8. Learn More Heading. Problem?
6 jumbotron fonts
8. Learn More: Heading -- I'm stuck here
Inquiry Lesson 8 - What's Missing
8. Learn more: Heading
8. Learn More : Heading -- How do you display .learn-more h3 ...?
8. Learn More: Heading -- I'm having a problem
8. Learn More: h3 - what am I doing wrong?
6. Jumbotron: Fonts -- What is wrong in this code?
Jumbotron : Fonts, Lesson 6
Font Family
6. What?
8. I can't find the mistake
Issues with tutorial 8 — Learn More: Heading
6. Set the font-family of the h1 element inside
Jumbotron fonts
Jombotron fonts - Cannot figure out what I am missing
Setting the front-family of the h3 in <div class= "learn-more">
Jumbotron fonts "HELP"
8. Is my code right?
6. it says inside the head element include the linke element for the custom font?
Hey I'm getting a error on 5/10 paragraph. And I know I'm doing it right but it wont let me. How do I get it to stop?
Problem with jumbotron fonts
In CSS Learn More Heading, it keeps on saying I need to adjust my 'Shift', sans-serif
Learn more, heading help
6. Jumbotron, Fonts
6. What am I doing wrong?
6. Set the font-family of the h1 element

3 posts were split to a new topic: 6. shift.css53 is not working in the browser

A post was split to a new topic: Css #3

3 posts were split to a new topic: 6. I can't figure out where the mistake is

just copy the url that includes the exercise then paste it in your code (remeber must be .html) and that's all i dont know why but that works for me

What exactly is it that happens that you "don't know why"? These are basic, beginner exercises and if you don't know why then you'd better find out!

7 posts were split to a new topic: 6. is there anything wrong with this code?

Keep on getting an error message for .6, and I can't figure out what's wrong with my code. Checked all of these troubleshooting suggestions.
Here's my code:

<head>
  <link href="http://s3.amazonaws.com/codeacademy-content/courses/ltp/css/shift.css"
    rel="stylesheet">
    <link href="main.css" rel="stylesheet">
  </head>

I don't think that you checked this one:

Make sure your link to shift.css works.

2 posts were split to a new topic: 8. Can someone please tell me what's wrong?

2 posts were split to a new topic: 4. The large preview box on the right side of the screen just stays blank

A post was split to a new topic: 5. It keeps saying to put it to 500px even though i did

A post was merged into an existing topic: 3. It keeps saying to put it to 500px even though i did

did they find a solution yet because i'm stuck now with the same problem

Hi Romeo,

Everyone that has taken the time to do the troubleshooting has found a solution. Did you work through the checklist of possible problems yet?

10 posts were split to a new topic: 6. it says inside the head element include the linke element for the custom font?

A post was split to a new topic: Can someone help me understand this?

A post was split to a new topic: 2. Hey guys can you please view my code and see what i have done wrong?

i did the trouble shooting and the link opens up but stil stuck