Exercise tells me I am wrong when I get the answer right?

Hello everyone,
I am doing some coding exercises and I got a challenge to build a function that basically counts all the way to 9000. If 9000 is exceeded than it will return the current sum in the function.

I built my code like this:

#Write your function here

def over_nine_thousand(lst):

sum = 0

for i in lst:

if sum <= 9000:

sum += i

else:

return sum

#Uncomment the line below when your function is done

print(over_nine_thousand([8000, 900, 120, 5000]))

when the function was called I always got the answer that was expected (according to their instructions. 9020). However, when clicking “Check Answer” I got the following message: over_nine_thousand([8000, 900]) should have returned 8900 , and it returned None

And when copying/pasting their way of doing the exercise which is:

sum = 0
  for number in lst:
    sum += number
    if (sum > 9000):
      break
  return sum

it said the answer is correct. Am I doing anything wrong?

Can you provide a link to the exercise? There might be something in the wording. Particularly, what’s supposed to happen if the sum doesn’t exceed 9000.

The CC error message suggests that something should be returned.

Of course.
Learn Python 3 | Codecademy

Exercise 2

Yea so the key is in the algorithm that’s outlined.

• Still within the loop, check if the sum is greater than 9000. If it is, end the loop
  • Return the value of the sum when we ended our loop

This means, your function should return a value no matter what. It has an extra condition that if it exceeds 9000 it must return it right there and then. BUT, if it doesn’t, it should still return some sum.

So something like this?

sum = 0

for i in lst:
    if sum <= 9000:
      sum += i
    else:
      break

return sum

Now instead of returning something within the loop it’ll return something when the loop has ended thus always returning something

Yea, that should work.

The thing with python is it’s often easy to write weird functions. I usually try to be extra careful to make sure something is returned even through the conditional blocks. (Because ideally either functions return something even if it’s an error term, or nothing at all).

1 Like