Excercise 6.3 The For Loop

Hello everybody,

it is really difficult for me to wrap my head around the way for-loops work. I found an explanaition here: [FAQ] and some Explanations about Loops

for(initalize;condition;manipulate){
statements;
}

manipulate :this part is executed after the execution of
the stuff in the {} and normally its used to change the value of the
counting variable to get it nearer to the stopping value e.g. i++

Could someone explain to me, why “manipulate” is executed after the statements in {} even though it is written before the statements in {}. Why does JavaScript just “skip” it and then execute it in the end? I could just take it as a fact, but it would really help me to understand the logic behind it, because for me it is completely illogical atm.

Thanks in advance

before would be very confusing, lets do an example:

for (let i = 0; i < 5; i = i + 1){
  console.log(i);
}

if i = i + 1 would be before the code in the loop block (between the {}), the first value logged would be 1, which is very confusing given we specified 0 as starting value.

Hello stetim94,

thank you for responding. But if you break the code down in single steps, it would be:

Step 1: assign “0” to “i”
Step 2: check if “i < 5”
Step 3: add “1” to “i”
Step 4: console.log(i)

But JavaScript kind of executes the code as Step 1, 2, 4, 3.

Please dont get me wrong. I really dont want to be a pedantic about it. I just want to understand why JS does it in this order.

did you run the code i gave you? it gives:

if i += 1 was done as third, the output would be:

which is just very confusing.

I just wanted to edit my post when you already replied. I think I just got myself into a corner. And understood where I went wrong the second I hit “reply”. I misunderstood what “let i = 0” really does and from there on it went south.

Thanks a lot for the fast reply. It’s really appreciated.