Escape keys

Hi everyone, just wondering what is the escape key so i can use “<>” in sentences without my ide automatically assuming i am using a tag. Thanks in advance.

Hello @data3429448927, welcome to the forums! The escape for < is &lt, and the escape for > is &gt. See this article for more escape keys.

3 Likes

Thank you very much! Appreciate the help!

2 Likes

Great info! I’m curious to know how in your response you wrote out the HTML entity name without the browser converting them to the < and > symbols. How is that achieved?

Do you mean like this <a href="something">? You do that by inserting back ticks above the code, like this:
Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 14.06.13
You can also use single backticks for unformatted text. See this post for more information:

Thanks for the reply. I’m familiar with Markdown in name only, so this is good info to know. I was actually curious to know how you could get the same visual results when creating opening a HTML file in a browser? I’ve been making a custom cheatsheet and wanted to include properly formatted CSS and some escape entities. Is this making sense?

I believe the <code> tag can be used, although I haven’t used it much before. Here is an article explaining it, and some related tags.

Those are called entities, not escapes, afaik. They must be concluded with semi-colons.

&lt;

&gt;
1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. I actually just came across an online tool that answers my question.

Ah-good to know, thanks!

1 Like

Well, seems they are connected. I’ve never referred to them as escapes in my memory, but it’s getting old, and some things tend to escape me (pun intended).

1 Like