Error when linking CSS stylesheet into HTML file

I wanted to start testing what I have been learning and create something. I am having a problem with the link. It doesn't work. I am doing this on Notepad and all on my computer. I saved both CSS and HTML files in the same folder on my desktop. They both were saved with .CSS and .HTML respectively.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>

<head>
    <title>My thrift finds</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css"/>
</head>

<body>

I keep getting a message that says ERROR link was not found. What am I doing wrong?. I ran a short simple test with a small HTML and CSS files and it worked.

what is the name of your css file? Are the html and css file in the same directory?

Yes, they are saved in the same folder. The name of my css file is: style.css

Nothing wrong with the code.

You said you ran a test and it worked. What did you do differently?

I forgot to mention that the short test I ran was on another computer. I don't know why it doesn't work on mine.

That's... odd.

Try putting both files on your desktop, just to check?

Nope. it didn't work. I had them on a folder saved on my desktop. I took them out of the folder and just had them directly on my desktop but it didn't work.
It is very odd.

And this is what my CSS stylesheet looks like when I open it, nothing crazy:

h1 {
text-align: center;
}

p {
font-family: 'Muli', 'sans-serif';
}

This is very odd. I hope someday someone can tell me why this happens. I just ran another test on another computer and it worked. I guess I have to work on another computer because mine is taking me nowhere.

Out of curiosity, what kind of computer do you have? What's the OS?
I've never seen such problem before.

nice post, I was searching this code, thanks