Error Message: "Prime::new is obsolete"

I am stuck on Codecademy, Learn Ruby, 7 Refactoring, The Refactor Factory, 7/7.
Here’s a link to the exercise: https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-ruby/lessons/the-refactor-factory/exercises/nice-work-2?action=lesson_resume

The Codecademy Ruby window won’t run any of the code for this exercise … I can’t even get Codecademy to run the initially provided code for 1/7. It seems to stall here. I initially discovered this in Google Chrome and the I’m having the same issue with Firefox. I recall that Codecademy just updated their Ruby course … could this change be the source of my problem? I couldn’t get Codecademy to work, so I tried things out in my desktop interactive Ruby and also my command line and I still have problems. The error I receive is "Prime::new is obsolete. use Prime::instance or class methods of Prime. Replacing Prime.new from line 26 of my code doesn’t fix the problem; it causes another problem. The “next” from line 29 of my code “n.times {prime_array << (prime.next) }” isn’t a method … my command line spits out "undefined method ‘next’ for #Prime:0x2563b60 .

Here is my code with my comments:

=begin
"The Refactor Factory" project is the concluding exercise for the Learn Ruby unit 7 track called "Refactoring."
This work is part of Codecademy's Full Stack Web Developer Program that I am working on.
This exercise provides you with poorly written Ruby code for a program that generates a list of prime numbers 
up to the entered ending number.
=end

require 'prime'   #This pulls in the Ruby prime module.

#first_n_primes is our program name and it accepts the integer n, which it's called with at the end of the program.
def first_n_primes(n)
#is_a? Integer is used to check if the submitted number is an integer. An error is reported otherwise.
#The original code had a 3 line unless statement here that I've updated to be a single-line if statement.
return "n must be an integer." unless n.is_a? Integer

#Prime numbers are integers that are non-negative, so an error is thrown if a positive # isn't submitted.
#I've replaced the three line if statement from the initial version with this single-line if statement.
return "n must be greater than 0." if n <= 0

#Here the variable prime_array is defined as an array if it hasn't already been defined to be something
  #See the original code, file with "initial" tagline instead of "refactored," for the inclusion
  #of the "if prime_array.nil?" Here I use the conditional assignment operator to simplify that code.
  prime_array ||= [] 
  #
  prime = Prime.instance
  #There was an uncessary for loop here. I've replaced it with a simpler n.times.
  #.push can be simplified with the concatenation operator (<<).
  n.times {prime_array << (prime.next) }
  prime_array
  #There was a "return prime_array" that I removed. It wasn't necessary because the prime_array was just evaluated.
end

first_n_primes(10)

Thanks for any help you can provide :smiley:

If you remember, we had that weird-looking $VERBOSE = nil on line 1; this allowed us to use the old-style Prime.new from Ruby 1.8 without the interpreter yelling at us.

require 'prime'

def first_n_primes(n)
  # Check for correct input!
  "n must be an integer" unless n.is_a? Integer
  "n must be greater than 0" if n <= 0

# The Ruby 1.9 Prime class makes the array automatically!
  prime = Prime.instance
  prime.first n
end

puts first_n_primes(10)

Thank you! This code works :smiley:

It’s not important, but I still have a question about the old format of code I was trying to write. I’ve added the “$VERBOSE = nil” to my initial code and gone back to the old Prime.new method. Nothing happens when I try to run this older-style code … do you happen to know why? I assumed that adding the $VERBONE=nil line would allow this older-style code to run.

$VERBOSE = nil
require 'prime’
def first_n_primes(n)
“n must be an integer.” unless n.is_a? Integer
"n must be greater than 0." if n <= 0
prime_array ||= []
prime = Prime.new
n.times {prime_array << (prime.next) }
prime_array
end
first_n_primes(10)

Do you mean the code would not run? Or that you didn’t get any squawk from the interpreter?

I hadn’t thought of that! How do I determine whether or not the code runs?

I’ve added a screenshot of my Command Prompt after trying to run the old and new code. The old code is named “the-refactor-factory-initial.rb” and the new code is called “the-refactor-factory-refactored.rb.” The old code with the “initial” at the end of the file name doesn’t have any output when run.

unrefactored ruby doesn't run

That could be because (and I’m only guessing) the old support is removed for the final lesson and only the new support (Ruby 1.9+) is present. The old code did work in the earlier lessons so that is why I draw this conclusion. I think it is safe to move on. Bookmark that last lesson as NB - breaking new ground.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.