ERROR It looks like rental_car_cost returns -10 instead of the correct amount (40) for 1 days

It looks like rental_car_cost returns -10 instead of the correct amount (40) for 1 days.
Please help me guys i spend 1 hour figure out what is the problem.

def rental_car_cost(days):
    cost = (days) * 40
    if (days) <= 7:
        cost = cost - 50
        return cost
    elif (days) <= 3:
        cost = cost - 20
        return cost

The indent level for your return statement should be on the same level as your if statement.

And your code can be shortened a little bit by only returning cost once. Also, this line

You can write it like this, cost -= 50

Can you attach a link to the exercise, and I will try my best to help you

Not necessarily, he can also return variables inside a conditional.

The error he's getting is because of the return statement's indent level. Test it for yourself if you think I'm wrong. :slight_smile:

if i rent the car for one day:

cost = (days) * 40

so that is 1 * 40 = 40.
then the if condition:

if (days) <= 7:
        cost = cost - 50
        return cost

is 1 less or equal to 7? Yes it is, so 40 - 50 = -10, which gets returned, end of function.

I would check if the car gets rented for less then 3 days, and return the cost without discount if it is. You might want to check the order of the if/elif statements as well.

the exercise url: https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/python-beginner-P5YtY/1/3

@bandit, you can return in each if/elif/else statement, that is fine. It is more code then just updating the cost variable and returning it at the end, but both are perfectly fine.

Like this? but give the error It looks like rental_car_cost returns 10 instead of the correct amount (40) for 1 days.

cost = (days) * 40
    if (days) <= 7:
        cost = 50 - 40
        return cost
    elif (days) <= 3:
        cost = cost - 20
        return cost

You still have indented properly and done what @stetim94 said.

no, that made it even worse. you should add another if statement to check if the car is rented less then 3 days, in which case cost should be returned without discount.

also, if this is true:

if (days) <= 7:

this can impossible run:

elif (days) <= 3:

since everything smaller then 7 is also smaller then 3. Less then 3 days also shouldn't give any discount. 3 till 6 days should give 20 discount, 7 or more should give 50 discount.

mhm and now?

cost = (days) * 40
    if (days) >= 7:
        cost = 50 - 40
        return cost
    elif (days) <= 3 and (days) <= 6:
        cost = cost - 20
        return cost

this:

cost = 50 - 40

is wrong, it should be the way it was:

cost = days - 50

this:

elif (days) <= 3

should be 3 days or moer:

elif (days) >= 3

and you should still return cost without any discount if it is less then 3 days (3 not included), you can add an else

now i have another error on else and i cant figure out syntax error.

cost = (days) * 40
    if (days) >= 7:
        cost = 50 - (days)
        return cost
    elif (days) >= 3 and (days) <= 6:
        cost = cost - 20
        return cost
    else days < 3:
        return cost

The else statement in Python doesn't require a clause. The Syntax is

else:

Think about the logic of this for a second. The instructions clearly state that if the amount of days is bigger than or equal to 7, there is a discount of $50 (cost - 50), and if it is greater then or equal to 3, then it should only be a $20 discount (cost -20) and otherwise it should just stay the same. Think about the instruction, and then implement them in your code

Hope I helped,
Barry Allen

A post was split to a new topic: Rental car