Error in my Rock, Paper, Scissors project

Hi everyone.

I’m new to coding.

I’m in middle of doing the Rock, paper, scissors project in Javascript.

I can’t seem to understand why my code is printing the following:

You threw rock
The computer threw () => {
const randomNumber = Math.floor(Math.random() * 3);
switch (randomNumber) {
case 0:
return ‘rock’;
case 1:
return ‘paper’;
case 2:
return ‘scissors’
}
}
Congratulations, you won!

const getUserChoice = userInput => { userInput = userInput.toLowerCase(); if (userInput === 'rock' || userInput === 'paper' || userInput === 'scissors') { return userInput; } else { console.log('Please input either rock, paper or scissors') } } const getComputerChoice = () => { const randomNumber = Math.floor(Math.random() * 3); switch (randomNumber) { case 0: return 'rock'; case 1: return 'paper'; case 2: return 'scissors' } }; const determineWinner = (userChoice, computerChoice) => { if (userChoice === computerChoice) { return 'The game is a tie!'; } if (userChoice === 'rock') { if(computerChoice === 'paper') return 'Computer has won!' } else { return 'Congratulations, you won!' } if (userChoice === 'paper') { if(computerChoice === 'scissors') return 'Computer, you won!' } else { return 'Congratulations, you won!' } if (userChoice === 'scissors') { if(computerChoice === 'rock') return 'Computer has won!' } else { return 'Congratulations, you won!' } } const playGame = () => { const userChoice = getUserChoice('rock') const computerChoice = getComputerChoice console.log(`You threw ${userChoice}`) console.log(`The computer threw ${computerChoice}`) console.log(determineWinner(userChoice, computerChoice)) }; playGame()

Why is it printing the entire switch statement and above it?

Any help and guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi there,

Remember that getComputerChoice is a function.

You will want computerChoice = getComputerChoice();

1 Like

That solved the problem! Thanks a lot. I was going crazy trying to find out what I did wrong!

1 Like