Ending Up

https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/python-beginner-2W5v7/1/4?curriculum_id=4f89dab3d788890003000096#

I've entered the text in multiple different ways, with the slice above & below else. With the code provided in the hint, in other suggestions & below. I've also restarted the module & can't figure where I am going wrong.

I thought the characters would move?

Replace this line with your code. 
pyg = 'ay'

original = raw_input('Enter a word:')

if len(original) > 0 and original.isalpha():
    print original

word = original.lower()
first = word[0]

new_word = word + first + pyg
new_word[1:len(new_word)] 

else:
    print 'empty'

I then used the following:

pyg = 'ay'

original = raw_input('Enter a word:')

if len(original) > 0 and original.isalpha():
print original

else:
print 'empty'

word = original.lower()
first = word[0]

new_word = word + first + pyg
new_word[0:len(new_word)]

Then it says, new_word contains (lets say) 'zaczay' instead of 'aczay'

new_word should contain the final correct translation, so you need to store the result of the slice action in new_word variable

new_word = new_word[1:len(new_word)]

I was missing this line apparently. Through trial and error, not quite sure I understand it though. I thought using the = would then store new_word as a value in the new_word variable, so storing itself... Aha, I might need to read more into this.

updating/re-assigning variable, this must have been covered at some point in this course?

It most likely does, it must have gone over my head. My own fault, keep up the good work! Thanks for the assist & have a good day! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.