Ending Up - Instructions Not Matching With What Lesson Wants

In Ending Up, following the instructions exactly will result in this block of code along with an error message when submitted

pyg = 'ay'

original = raw_input('Enter a word:')

if len(original) > 0 and original.isalpha():
    print original
else:
    print 'empty'
word = original.lower()
first = word[0]
new_word = [1:len(new_word)]

This is because of the following errors:
1) word needs to be placed before [1:len(new_word)] in order for there to even be a variable to index

2) (new_word) in the index should be (word) because new_word is not yet defined so how can it find the length of itself?

3) Inputting the code with the following changes will not complete the task, because the resulting print will not be properly translated into Pig Latin, but will display the second to last letter of the variable original. The lesson program will tell this to you, but the instructions do not tell you to concatenate like so:
new_word = word[1:len(word)] + first + pyg
to create a proper translation into Pig Latin. My mistake was setting new_word equal to [1:len(new_word)], which is consequently what the lesson's instructions tell you to do, instead of leaving the word + first + pyg intact while typing [1:len(word)] after word in the concatenation mentioned.

I am extremely disappointed with the following error as it shows either the website did not properly test this portion of the code from the eye's of a new user or that since all the content instruction for this language will soon be re-formatted that Code Academy did not care to correct this mistake. For a service I was contemplating subscribing to I am not pleased that this error in instruction was made by coders looking to sell a service to users looking to learn.

EDIT: For accuracy pertaining to the actual code that the lesson starts you out with

All of that code can be inserted where print original is, in place of it (we don't need that line anymore).

That is a nitpick not even the lesson chose to address (Source: Reset Code Button from Ending Up) so I fail to understand why you chose to bring it up. You did not address the rest of my claim and I would like to know why. I would also like you to know that I did edit my original post based off of what the Reset Code button gave me just to fix up the minor mistakes in my post.

I tend to address the immediate (the obvious) then progress along to the deeper concerns. If it seems like I blew your question off, that's why I didn't engage it, yet. It's nice to know that the code is working and accepted. Now we can deal with other concerns, from that perspective.

As for the bulk of your concern, that is not for me to address. None of us can. It is Codecademy's concern, which they are addressing, presently. The plan is to roll out new courseware in the coming months. I have no timeline on this, but it heralds a new era and new interface and improved lessons. Again, none of us can or will speak for CC. That is for them to do.

I apologize. I was not familiar with how CodeAcademy worked and how difficult it has been. I am someone who gets quite frustrated with unclear instructions and after talking with people I realize more what Code Academy's purpose is. The purpose is to let people learn code while actually using it, but since code is quite convoluted mistakes are going to be made. I just thought that I could point out the errors in instruction and they might be fixed at some point, but that is difficult since there are SO many lessons and different points of view to deal with all at once. Sorry for my rude and accusatory tone. I recognize I should've calmed down and been more polite and less angry with my words.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.