Ending up "equal to the slice?"

Hi guys, I've searched a TON of Q&A forums and made sure everything is in order, but it still displays the "you need to set new_word equal to the slice"

pyg = 'ay'

original = raw_input('Enter a word:')

if len(original) > 0 and original.isalpha():
    word = original.lower()
    first = word[0]
    new_word = word + first + pyg
    new_word[1:len(new_word)]
    print new_word[1:len(new_word)]

else:
    print 'empty'

I don't know what is wrong with this code, the new_word slices are basically identical and yet the error message persists...

Your code is fine but it's just missing one fundamental component and that is adding first and pyg to your list slice,

new_word = word[1:len(new_word)]

add,

new_word = word[1:len(new_word)] + first + pyg

hi guys, i still have a basic question, im not sure what the len() method does, can u clear my mind a bit please. :slight_smile: thnks

The len() keyword, returns the length (number of items) of an object. The argument may be a sequence (such as a string, bytes, tuple, list, or range) or a collection (such as a dictionary, set, or frozen set).

read that before, but still not clear.. xD. thanks

Let me give you an example so you can understand practically,

If I have a string,

my_name = "Dave"

and a list,

my_name = ['Dave', 'Dave', 'Dave', 'Dave']

these two will both return the integer 4 because in my string,

my_name = "Dave" There four letters

and in my list,

my_name = ['Dave', 'Dave', 'Dave', 'Dave'] There four items

So basically the len() method returns the number of items in a valid data type. :slight_smile:

peeerfect, that's what i needed a very simple example to understand it, thank uuuu so much!:slight_smile:

No problem :slight_smile:

Hi, so I have been trying to complete 'ending up' but it keeps saying that I got the wrong code:

def pyglatin():
pyg = 'ay'

original = raw_input('Enter a word:')

if len(original) > 0 and original.isalpha():
    word = original.lower()
    first = word[0]
    new_word = word[1:] + first + pyg
    print new_word
else:
    print 'empty'
quest = raw_input("Want another word? Type yes or no!")
if quest =="yes":
    pyglatin()
else:
    print ("Bye!")
    return

pyglatin()

I did add in my own personalized code but I don't think it's the problem. Please clarify what is wrong please? Thank you!

I have found the problem never mind. :slight_smile:

Hi Bandit, thanks for the reply, I've added the first and pyg but the error message persists...

The code works well, though admittedly I don't understand what setting "new_word equal to the slices" because both slices are word[1:len(new_word)]... or am i missing something??

Store your list slice in a same name variable new_word

new_word = word[1:len(new_word)]

new_word = new_word + first + pyg

print new_word

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.