Email not being saved

Hi, can someone please help me figure out what I’m doing wrong?
When I submit an email address, I get an error:

Started POST "/signups" for 174.21.34.60 at 2015-10-24 14:00:29 -0400                                    
Processing by SignupsController#create as HTML                                                           
  Parameters: {"utf8"=>"✓", "authenticity_token"=>"3zOsHWDDohipOnmYjT1y2TRaSDXawNvDbwkC36FzP0g=", "signup
"=>{"email"=>"[email protected]"}, "commit"=>"signup"}                                                   
Completed 400 Bad Request in 0ms                                                                         

ActionController::ParameterMissing (param is missing or the value is empty: email):                      
  app/controllers/signups_controller.rb:19:in `signup_params'                                            
  app/controllers/signups_controller.rb:9:in `create'   

Here is my signup controller:

class SignupsController < ApplicationController
  def new
    @signup = Signup.new
  end
  def create 
    @signup = Signup.new(signup_params) 
    if @signup.save 
      redirect_to '/thanks' 
    else 
      render 'new' 
    end 
  end
private
  def signup_params
    params.require(:email)
  end
end

The email field is in the schema - migrate scrip:

create_table :signups do |t|
  t.text :email
  t.timestamps

It’s baffling to me, the email parameter is there, but it’s not being saved (it just says ‘nil’ in the DB). Any ideas?

Thanks!
Marco

answering my own question :wink:

I got the signup_params wrong. it should be

params.require(:signup).permit(:email)

Hi Marco,

I have a little problem with this exercice.
I have the same signup controller and same migrate script of you,

but I have an error message in the task 12 :

ActionController::InvalidAuthenticityToken in SignupsController#create

Could you please tell me what you typed in routes file :confused:

Thanks !
Olivier

That’s a weird error :wink:

My routes.rb looks like this

Rails.application.routes.draw do
  get '/thanks' => 'pages#thanks'
  resources :signups
  root 'signups#new'
end

I will begin to the start again. :sweat:
Some stuff still a little bit confused with this exercice.

Thanks

Seen the error related to the InvalidAuthenticityToken before in a few other exercises. The file application_controller.rb needs to look something like this:

`class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base

Prevent CSRF attacks by raising an exception.

For APIs, you may want to use :null_session instead.

protect_from_forgery with: :null_session
end`

3 Likes

Yes, this change from “:exception” to “:null_session” worked for me … after an extensive review of what turned out to be immaculate code. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Having a terrible experience with code academy … i am thinking to get a refund! First i was getting
ActionController::InvalidAuthenticityToken in SignupsController#create
then when i reset the project - it is crashing and hanging on creating model :tired_face: :sob: i have reset it a couple of times no help! Any recommended browser?
$ rails generate model Signup
Warning: You’re using Rubygems 2.0.14 with Spring. Up
grade to at least Rubygems 2.1.0 and run gem pristin e --all for better startup performance. … hangs here

This is still a problem in the “Authorization” course … and really horrid. I am not sure why someone at CodeAcademy has not fixed it or provided some help text to guide to a soluton.

BLECH