return True
    else:             
        return 1 > 3       # Make sure this returns False

def french_soldier():
    if answer == "Go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!":
        return True
    else:             
        return   1 == 3     # Make sure this returns False

Why this work if I put False, but it doesn’t work if I put a statement that results False? (1 > 3) (! == 3)

because the exercise expects you to use False keyword, using something like 1 == 3 is a terrible idea, another programmer looking at your code would be very confused by it. So codecademy only approves False keyword, given that is what you should use here

Thank you for your answer.
I believe I understand what you have written but I’m still confused.

In exercise 8: NOT it was request to put a result True/False, (Set bool_one equal to the result of…) but the program would run correct also with the formula instead.
I’ve tried out of curiosity…

bool_one = not True

bool_two = not 3**4 < 4**3

bool_three = not 10 % 3 <= 10 % 2

bool_four = not 3**2 + 4**2 != 5**2

bool_five = not not False

So to change my question and understand better, is it so that
"Make sure this returns False" actually means always and only “write ‘False’ here”?

Thank you

i need to see the exact instructions, please share the exercise url

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-python/lessons/conditionals--control-flow/exercises/not?action=lesson_resume

you should evaluate the conditions manually, and then set the variable according to the result (so the variable should be a boolean value), unfortunately, the validation isn’t setup perfectly.

As @stetim94 mentioned, this series of exercises are all meant to be done visually. We do not really learn much if we let the computer evaluate the expressions.

not True

This one is obvious, the opposite of True is False.

not 3 ** 4 < 4 ** 3

To help us with this one we need a table of operator precedence…

Python Operator Precedence

The table reads from top down, in order of precedence. HIghest up the list is, ** (exponentiation) so that operation is completed first (in our mind)

3 to the 4th is the same as 9 squared, or 81

4 cubed is 64

So now we have,

not 81 < 64

Next highest in the table is < (comparison operators), so,

not False

and from there we get to, True.

Getting the idea?

Thank you for writing.
After a couple of tentatives I’ve understood the exercise and did it correctly. I was confused only by the fact that the program runs anyway, if I solve the problem or not.

@stetim94 has clarified that it is not perfect and it’s ok. Now I understand better also my mistake in the original exercise in this topic.

This is a brand new field for me and I have at times troubles understanding the instructions and confusion accumulates, thank you both for taking your time and helping me.

Let yourself be the judge, and do not be too kind. Test, test, and test again until you are truly satisfied.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.