Dragon Slayer #8) Says I pass but does not show damage output

Just would like to know how to fix my code to put the damage output on the console log and space out the answer because right now I get on the console log "The dragon ate you because you only did0 damage! false" or when you win I get on the console log "You slew the dragon with0damage! You win! false" Thanks!

var slaying = true ;
var youHit = Math.floor(Math.random() * 2) ;
var damageThisRound = Math.floor(Math.random()*5 + 1) ;
var totalDamage = 0 ;
while (slaying) {
if (youHit) {
console.log("You slew the dragon with" + totalDamage + "damage!");
totalDamage += damageThisRound;
 if (totalDamage >= 4) {
 console.log("You win!");
 slaying = false;
} else {
youHit = Math.floor(Math.random() * 2);
 }
} else { 
console.log("The dragon ate you because you only did" + totalDamage + " damage!");
}
slaying = false;
}

Try "The dragon ate you because you only did ". Notice the extra space between did and the ".

I am afraid I have tried that and it does not work. Even still, the spacing is a problem, but my real problem is why does the damage output not come up on the screen...

Look at your console.log on line 7 in your above code. That should come after totalDamage += damageThisRound;. Otherwise, totalDamage will always be set to the original value of 0.

Try this :

console.log("You slew the dragon with" + " " + "totalDamage + "damage!")

Ok! Now we are talking! Thank you! Is there a technical reason why it did that? Now to get that spacing figured out :joy:

I am afraid not biff75 Apparently, that is actually wrong because I get back a syntax error

Your console logs should look like this:

console.log("You slew the dragon with " + totalDamage + " damage!");

and

console.log("The dragon ate you because you only did " + totalDamage + " damage!")

The code passes the test but I get back an error message saying "Cannot read property 'log' of undefined....so idk what happened when i copied and pasted it in

console.log("You slew the dragon with" + " " + totalDamage + " " + "damage!")

I meant this, sorry

What did you copy/paste?

While this works biff75 for passing it does not change the spacing effect...
Also, @itschrisburton i copied and pasted your to console.logs right into mine. However, it gives me that error message I stated earlier

Please repost your code so I can take a look.

Gladly! On the first console log I have kept biff75's version in there

var slaying = true ;
var youHit = Math.floor(Math.random() * 2) ;
var damageThisRound = Math.floor(Math.random()*5 + 1) ;
var totalDamage = 0 ;
totalDamage += damageThisRound;
while (slaying) {
if (youHit) {
console.logconsole.log("You slew the dragon with" + " " + totalDamage + " " + "damage!")
if (totalDamage >= 4) {
console.log("You win!");
slaying = false;
} else {
youHit = Math.floor(Math.random() * 2);
}
} else {
console.log("The dragon ate you because you only did" + totalDamage + "damage!");
}
slaying = false;
}

Look at line 8 of your above code:

console.logconsole.log("You slew the dragon with" + " " + totalDamage + " " + "damage!")

console.log is in there twice.

well that will explain the copy and paste error. However, my secondary problem of spacing still remains. Also apparently now my dragon now wins even when you do 5 damage and you can slay the dragon with two damage so something has happened also with that... Sorry if this is seeming hopeless or pointless

This is why I suggested to add spaces inside the quotes. It's easier to read.

You can do either this (more readable):

console.log("The dragon ate you because you only did " + totalDamage + " damage!");

or:

console.log("The dragon ate you because you only did" + " " + totalDamage + " " + "damage!");

I understand this point. And I agree, it is easier to read in the code, however, I am trying to get what shows up on the console log to be spaced out more. I have tried this method several times with no prevail on getting the desired result.

You're just making simple mistakes which trip everyone up at some point. It's all good.

Look at line 5 of your recent post.

Line 5: totalDamage += damageThisRound;

Should that be there or above console.log("You slew the dragon with" + " " + totalDamage + " " + "damage!")? You got this!

The problem with moving the

is that when put under the console.log I get no damage output. However, when put above I do.