Draft option

It would prove very useful for us (mod and above) to have a draft option to offset the occasional interruption that might catch our attention. So many times have I been forced to choose between priorities. At least with a way to save the current post, or even a history of unsubmitted drafts would give us a way to backtrack and resume. Am I wishing on a star? Or asking for something that is doable?

Doesn’t Discourse have something like this built in? I’ve never tested it, but I’ve had replies stay through multiple reboots, browser restarts, and (if I remember right) even closing the tab and then going back to the same topic.

I first noticed this the other day when my hard drive crashed. Once the computer was back up and running and I got back on the site the post I had been working on was still in the editor.

However, this is not a true draft mode that allows us to close our work and return later.

1 Like

If you write a reply to a topic it keeps a copy even if you move an reply to another topic, when you move back your reply is still there.

The system could be made a lot clearer though, with save buttons and a list of all current drafts.

2 Likes

@mtf If canned responses work for you in Codecademy Redesigned (they don’t for some people, and we’re not sure why :confused:), you can save your post as a canned response, then delete it later once you post it.
It uses localStorage to store your canned responses though, so only slightly more reliable than Discourse’s default saving thing.

2 Likes

Not yet, at least not in Firefox. Haven’t tried Chrome, yet. That is a thought, though.

@mtf

:confused:
Are you able to try clearing localStorage here on Discuss, or at least remove your canned responses thing in localStorage? (localStorage.remove_item("canned_responses"); in the browser console)

TypeError: localStorage.remove_item is not a function

I checked my addons and 7.1.1 is enabled.

@mtf Woops, my bad. Try it with removeItem() (camelCased, instead of snake_cased):

localStorage.removeItem("canned_responses");

That ran and returned undefined.

Clicking Canned Response lets me enter a name, but that becomes the text, and I cannot add text to the response itself. Clicking again closes the tool, clicking again opens the tool with a blank window.

1 Like

@mtf Thanks. I hope we’ll be able to find what’s wrong with it soon :confused:
I’m nearly done with my current obsession project, and will try to take a look at it then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Using canned responses takes some getting used to.

First you need to highlight the text you want as a response then click the canned responses button and create new response, this will create a new response of whatever text is currently selected.

@zystvan check over in redesigned post I have an idea.

2 Likes

Now that makes perfect sense. My foggy brain is one day imaginative, another, not. Thanks for the tip.

2 Likes