Don't understand how value is retrieved (8/13)

The solution to this is:

prices = {
"banana": 4,
"apple": 2,
"orange": 1.5,
"pear": 3
}

stock = {
"banana": 6,
"apple": 0,
"orange": 32,
"pear": 15
}

for key in prices:
print key
print "price: %s" % prices[key]
print "stock: %s" % stock[key]

I understand how the loop retrieves a key such as banana, but what I don't understand is how prices [key] then retrieves its value such as 1.5. Should it not have to be prices [value] to retrieve that? If anyone can help me clarify my misunderstanding it would be appreciated.

Why does it not like what is printed for orange?

Hello, @terminator7t!
Dictionaries sure abit hard to understand at first, since we are used with lists where the index to access a position is an integer.
The thing about dictionaries is: it's a "composition" of key-value pairs and due to that, to get the value of a certain part of your dictionary, all you'll need to do is:

print dictName[keyName] #Will bring back the position keyName 
#at that key-value pair

The "key" is what we use to bring back the value on it. You can think of it like a key to a room, where the key of your dictionary is the door's key and the value is the room.
In order to enter that room, you'll need to use a key for it and that's how dictionaries work.

for dictionaryKey in dictionaryName:
     print dictionaryKey #Will print the element at the left side of the double points :
     print dictionaryName[dictionaryKey] #Will access that position and bring back
#the value at the right side of the double points :

Q: So I can't call the value without using the dictionary name with the brackets?
A: Not that I know.

Hope my explanation was clear, if not, let me know and I'll find another way to explain!

Hi g4be,

That has really helped me. Thanks!

No problem, Terminator! Glad to help!