Dont know what to do with this

def is_prime(x): n = 2 for n in range(2,x-1): n = 2 if x % n == 0 and x < 2: return False else: return True

i dont know what to do with this it gives error plz help

6. is_prime

def is_prime(x):
    n = 2
    for n in range(2,x-1):
        n = 2
    if x % n == 0 and x < 2:
        return False
    else:
        return True

this is my code with good looking hh
plz help me with this

We wouldn't give n a value and then erase it in the next line. The above line is not needed, so may be removed.

for n in range(2, x - 1):

Somewhere somebody decided that range() includes the upper bound, and to circumvent this they felt it necessary to subtract 1 from x. Bottom line? Not necessary. If x is the upper bound, n will never equal it since x will not be in the range.

print range(5)    # [0, 1, 2, 3, 4]

Truth be known, we could write,

for n in range(3, (x + 1) / 2):

A number greater than 1/2 of a number cannot be a factor. And it gets better.

from math import sqrt

for n in range(3, sqrt(x + 1)):

If there are no factors less than the square root of a number, there are none greater. We make our program super fast, especially if we filter out even numbers before running the loop. They should return an immediate False.

In the above I use x + 1 so as to cross the line and not miss any special cases that may exist in the math.

please because i have been a lot unsure about using the range loop plz explain for me why the instructions
told me to make 2 to x-1 i mean is this have to be range or what? and why i have to make sqrt??

Not have to, may. This is one's own option. If one cannot reason why, then just follow and stick to the instructions and make one's way along. I have my doubts as to how much you really understand. When you put yourself in the deep end, you run the risk of being without a life guard when you need one. Suggest go all the way back to the beginning and start over. All the way back.

what if i completed to the end of the course what will happened ? do you me to begain all over i had an idea about finishing the course and do what i can to improve my coding skills and when i need something search for it or try to understand it what do really think about it?

There is no harm in a do-over. The review will prove helpful, and indications are that it is necessary in your case. I don't think you are ready to move forward, but then that is my own opinion based on what I've seen in the forums.

iam already doing that now thanks

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.