Do I need to return grade, or are there other options?

Hi! I just started learning Python 3 and i have a question about ‘Else If Statements’ exercise 11:

Calvin Coolidge’s Cool College has noticed that students prefer to get letter grades over GPA numbers. They want you to write a function called grade_converter that converts an inputted GPA into the appropriate letter grade. Your function should be named grade_converter , take the input gpa , and convert the following GPAs:

• 4.0 or higher should return "A"
  • 3.0 or higher should return "B"
  • 2.0 or higher should return "C"
  • 1.0 or higher should return "D"
  • 0.0 or higher should return "F"

You should do this by creating a variable called grade that is first set to "F" .

Then, you should use elif statements to set grade to the appropriate letter grade for the gpa entered.

At the end of the function, return grade .

The last part suggests a certain way of doing it but i started with another method that seemed to work aswell. Are both alright or should i use either one?

method 1:

def grade_converter(gpa):
  if gpa>=4.0:
    return "A"
  elif gpa>=3.0:
    return "B"
  elif gpa>=2.0:
    return "C"
  elif gpa>=1.0:
    return "D"
  else:
    return "F"

Method 2:

grade="F"
  if gpa >=4.0:
    grade= "A"
  elif gpa >=3.0:
    grade= "B"
  elif gpa >=2.0:
    grade= "C"
  elif gpa >=1.0:
    grade= "D"
  else:
    grade= "F"
  return grade

I thought maybe both are correct but one is preferred whenever we encounter more complex codes, so for future laziness, hope someone can enlighten me:) Thank you! :hugs:

11 Likes

on the second method, after the “else”, i just wrote “return grade”. If nothing above is True, the value of grade is already “F”

3 Likes

Good call. I had the same question as OP, but I guess your method saves a step. Thanks!

2 Likes

As we can see, there are enough cases to satisfy the inputs without having to set grade at the start of the function. else: handles all the outside cases.

if ...:
    grade = 'A'
elif...:
elif...:
elif...:
else:
    grade = 'F'
return grade

Note that this is fully reversible…

in reverse order
if gpa < 1: return 'F'
if gpa < 2: return 'D'
if gpa < 3: return 'C'
if gpa < 4: return 'B'
return 'A'
1 Like

I had a similar question. I’m not sure why it was suggested to create a variable called grade. It wasn’t needed.

Thanks.

2 Likes

I wrote my function the same way you did (Method 1) and was also wondering if there’s an advantage of one over the other.

I have the exact code as you have in method 2. Except I think that there may be an issue on codecademy’s end because it will not let me click on Next to go on! I tried everything on my own and then got their solution because I thought I couldn’t figure it out. However, I was ok and it still won’t let me go on. Ideas?

Thanks,

Seems to be working. I clicked “Reset”, pasted in “Method 2”, clicked “Run” and “Next” lit right up!

Thank you. On a whim I click on the refresh button and then it worked. I’m not sure why, but sometimes the website gets a little stuck I guess.

2 Likes

Hello, I’ve got a question regarding the exercise:

1. what is the point of assigning the return value to a variable called grade when I can get the same return value without using it?
  2. what is the point of using elif statement here when I can get the same result just by using if-return?
    I’m just thinking about the simplicity of the code… Thank you!!
    My code:

if gpa >= 4.0:
return “A”
if gpa >= 3.0:
return “B”
if gpa >= 2.0:
return “C”
if gpa >= 1.0:
return “D”
if gpa >= 0.0:
return “F”

1 Like

When assignment is used, we need elif, but when return is used, we don’t. It depends which school of thought we’re from. Some would have only a single return in the function, after the if statement. Some are okay with multiple returns in a function. It’s a subjective argument.

2 Likes

OK, thank you very much.

1 Like

Some nested ternary silliness…

>>> grade = 79
>>> def letter_grade(x):
	return 'F' if x < 60 else 'D' if x < 70 else 'C' if x < 80 else 'B' if x < 90 else 'A'

>>> letter_grade(grade)
'C'
>>> 
2 Likes

I was wandering why we should create the variable grade and why the if/elif method is not preferred so I broke it made some research.
Lets suppose that the user decided to enter as an input -1 and not what we are expected to see logically and inside our terms (from 0 to inf). The assigned variable method will return F whatever the wrong input can be, so it is like bug solving.
I find it the same as the variable method to add an else at the end of the function saying whatever else the input can be you will get an F.

… so I find these two methods equally efficient:

def grade_converter_1(gpa):
  if gpa >= 4.0:
    return "A"
  elif gpa >= 3.0:
    return "B"
  elif gpa >= 2.0:
    return "C"
  elif gpa >= 1.0:
    return "D"
  else:
    return "F"

def grade_converter_2(gpa):
  grade = "F"

if gpa >= 4.0:
    grade = "A"
  elif gpa >= 3.0:
    grade = "B"
  elif gpa >= 2.0:
    grade = "C"
  elif gpa >= 1.0:
    grade = "D"

return grade

(feel free to reply if you find something wrong)

1 Like

Hi, @linguistic8184686867 - It’s good to see someone actually having fun with coding! Does one way seem more elegant than the other to you?

Now, since you are interested in playing around a bit with these exercises, make a note to yourself: After you have covered the lessons on Python dictionaries, return to this one and see if you can’t figure out how to get rid of that entire if-elif chain!

2 Likes

I used print instead of variable grade or return in my first trial.
It does give the same result :slight_smile:
Is there any reason to not use it?

def grade_converter_print(gpa):
  if gpa >= 4.0:
    print("A")
  elif gpa >= 3.0:
    print("B")
  elif gpa >= 2.0:
    print("C")
  elif gpa >= 1.0:
    print("D")
  else:
    print("F")
grade_converter_print(0)

Hi @janosh,

With its using print, the function is not as useful as it would have been had it used return. With your version, you can use a call of the grade_converter_print function to display the letter grade, but cannot assign the result of the call to a variable in order to use that grade in additional processing.

If you use return, you can call the function and print the result of a call if you would like to see it, or you can save the result of a call to a variable and use it for additional purposes. You can even do both.

2 Likes

Thank you @appylpye The additional processing is an important reason to use return instead of print to be of further use.

2 Likes

I mean you could always indent and OP. But, If you like the method because it is easier then you do you

Since Appylpye did not say “Your welcome” to your thank you. I will be the kindest person and say it: Your Welcome

1 Like