Digit_sum question

Hi,

I have a question about this exercise: which is de difference between printing the value and returning it?
I mean,
if my code is like this:

def digit_sum(n):
    suma=0
    for i in str(n):
        suma=suma+int(i)
    return suma

it works perfectly. But if instead of return I use print, it displays the following error: Oops, try again. Your function fails on digit_sum(434). It returns None when it should return 11:

def digit_sum(n):
    suma=0
    for i in str(n):
        suma=suma+int(i)
    print suma

Why is that? Why does print return null?

And if I use return and then call the function, it still doesn't display anything:

def digit_sum(n):
    suma=0
    for i in str(n):
        suma=suma+int(i)
    return suma
digit_sum(123456)

Why?

Regards

Hi @zuriftw,

You have this, which does call the function ...

digit_sum(123456)

However, when you use return within the function, do this when you call it to display the result ...

print digit_sum(123456)

Thanks for your reply, it does work now!
But I'm still not understanding why print inside the function is not working properly.

Does it display the result when you call the function? It might do that, however, Codecademy wants the function to actually return the result, which makes it available outside the function, not only for displaying it, but also to enable the result to be used for further processing, such as using it in an expression.

If a function displays a result, but does not return it, you can see the result, but without a return, it is not made available for potential further use by the program.

That makes sense! Now it's returning and also printing the value.
Thanks a lot!

2 posts were split to a new topic: Sum of digits of 0303 is 15 - Why?

Sum of digits of 0303 is 15 - Why?