Dig into Python or move on?

Hello world! I started the CS career path last April (zero coding experience before that) and I am now halfway through CS102. Eventually, once I finish CS I would like to do the full-stack path. In the meantime, I’m not sure whether it would be better to take the time to work on my Python, for example with the intermediate and advanced classes and maybe do a course like the chat bots or Django for web dev, or to keep moving through CS and then full-stack and in case come back to Python later if I need to.

In short: at an early stage, is it better to know everything about something or something about everything?

In short: at an early stage, is it better to know everything about something or something about everything?

My personal opinion: better to know fundamentals well, and the challenge is figuring out what exactly are the fundamentals of what you want. Sometimes this means being very broad, and sometimes it means being very specific. Try to think about goals of what you want in your studies and reach out to people that are deep in that field (that matches your goals) for perspective.

If you’re doing CS 102 for example, there’s a lot of math (basics of discrete math, knowing enough calculus up to L’Hopital’s rule for example), architecture (one example: to be able to discern efficiency of actual implementations of algorithms), and system design fundamentals that pair really well with it. But I say that as someone who is interested in computer science. You personally might be looking at it just to see what it’s about (it’s hard to know from a post).

2 Likes

Well, eventually my goal is to become a full-stack dev. My question is: how deep should I dig in fundamentals and in something like Python if that’s my goal. Especially since I wouldn’t probably be using much Python as a full-stack dev, does it make sense to spend more time on it in order to understand the concepts, or is it better to move on and cover more ground?

Of course it’s hard to tell and in the end it probably doesn’t matter much, but I’m at a point where I want to try and find the best way forward in order to be truly job ready when I need to be.