Difference between div class and div?

I am not able to understand the main use of div for wrapping. I am not able to see the difference on webpage with and without wrap with just div or with div class

please somebody explain

regards
rohit

I'm not to sure of the question, but I'll try to answer it based on how I understand it.

A div is a container, meant to hold other things. When you use CSS, and/or Jquery or something similar, to select a div without a class or id you affect all divs. Adding a class, or id, to a div allows you to select a specific div, or divs, to add things to. With just html, a div with a class and a div without a class look the same visually. Wrapping things in a div makes it easier to add things to specific parts on a page.

so you are saying the use and difference between just div and div class will be cleared as I learn and use css coding . so should I wait till I start css and see the difference?

regards

Yes, if a course is telling you to add a class to a div, then you will likely do some CSS related stuff to that specific div later in the lesson. I believe the Make a Website course does have you do things with CSS and classes, so the wait shouldn't be too long.

Well, the problem is that if you have a bunch of div's:

<div></div>
<div></div>
<div></div>

and we want different styling for each div, how are we going to approach this? We can use classes:

<div class="one"></div>
<div class="two"></div>
<div class="three"></div>

now, we can use css:

.one {color: red}
.two {color: purple}
.three {color:green}

as you can see, class names start with a dot. I highly recommend the html + css course, before the make a website course, to get a better understanding of html and css

Hi.

In addition to above question (which now was answered, thanks):

What is the sense of having several unspecified

s wrapped in each other as in Codeacademys example of the AirBnb page. Why not just one
if a standalone >div> cannot be distinguished from another?

I deliberately put a dot in each

to not make the coding appear as its browser text here

<.div class="learn-more">
<.div>
<.div>
<.div>
<.h3>Travel
<./div>

Thanks

Codecademy decided to build the html structure first, you will add classes later to this divs, you are going to use them to build a grid system, little spoiler:

<div class="learn-more">
  <div class="row">
    <div class="col-md-4">
     <h3>heading</h3>
    </div>
    <div class="col-md-4">
     <h3>heading</h3>
    </div>
    <div class="col-md-4">
     <h3>heading</h3>
    </div>
  </div>