Codecademy Forums

Did you double check the placement of `return`?

I don’t understand why my code is not working for the second set of lists, where i = 1.

your code only compares the first value of lst1 with the last value of lst2, if these values are equal, true is returned else false is returned.

3 Likes

Hello,

After reading through the whole thread, I too, finally understand why Code 1 works to generate the correct and accurate solution instead of Code 2. This is an illustration of how it works. Please do correct me if there’s any sort of error.

e.g. - (reversed_list([1, 5, 3], [3, 2, 1]))

lst1 = [1, 5, 3]
lst2 = [3, 2, 1]

#Code 1 - Combing through list similarities with return False

def reversed_list(lst1, lst2):
    for index in range(len(lst1)):                   
        if lst1[index] != lst2[len(lst2) - 1 - index]:
            return False
    return True

print(reversed_list([1, 5, 3], [3, 2, 1])) #prints False *correct answer*
#Code 2 - Combing through list similarities with return True

for index in range(len(lst1)):                   
        if lst1[index] != lst2[len(lst2) - 1 - index]:
          return True
    return False

print(reversed_list([1, 5, 3], [3, 2, 1])) #prints True *inaccurate answer*

Like what stetim94 mentioned:

If you use Code 2, which first uses return True to comb through similarities, it will give you inaccurate answers. Because it iterates over the value of the indices, it will return True upon the first match and stop iterating over the remaining values, which may not match 1-for-1 with the corresponding list.

Whereas if you use Code 1, which first uses return False to comb through similarities, it will stop iteration upon the first non-match of indices’ value. Else, the code will continue to run till the last index and return True for an all-matching pair of lists.

There is no point in using slicing AND a loop. Use just a loop, or just a slice.

n, m = len(lst1), len(lst2)
if n != m:
    return False
m -= 1
for i in range(n):
    if lst1[i] != lst2[m - i]:
        return False
 return True

Using a slice doesn’t give us much loop practice…

return lst1 == lst2[::-1]
3 Likes

Hello mtf :slight_smile:

Thanks for adding a line to as a first line of defence to check if the list has the same lengths.

Point taken for this:

3 Likes

Why this code gives me true for the second print example ? It seems logical .

In the first example, if just one character of the “reversed” list is in the correct position, the function will return True, even if all of the rest are incorrect. In the false example, 1 in lst1 compares equal to 1 in lst2, and the function is done, returning True.

:arrow_right: Remember that once return is reached one time, the function returns its value and halts.

In the second example, a single incorrect value returns False, which (if you think about it) is what you want.

2 Likes

Hi
Could someone explain to me why to following code is incorrect?
It’s supposed to return “True” and then “False”, but I get “True” and “True” with this code. I know it has to do with the ‘else:’ part and probably something with indentation, but I don’t understand what the problem is…

It will return the condition (match or non-match) of the first index tested, and then halt, since what return does two things:

1. Return the value to the calling statement, and
  2. Halt processing of the function

In other words, once return is reached one time, the function is over.

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

Can anyone explain to me what is the difference between the two?
Why one is correct and the other is not?

Thanks!

return happens at the end of function, handing data back to the caller

which means, in the second case, the moment any value (lets say the first value) equals the opposite value (last value in the list), true is returned, the function stops. Which isn’t the desired behavior.

you only want to return true after comparing all values, not at the first match.

You can return False when values do not match, and not compare the rest of the values.

4 Likes

What do you think about this solution?

It works. How about doing it on 3 lines or even a single line? Do you really need to return True or return False? What is returned by the following? return 3 == 4 or return 3 == 3

EDIT: Your solution has a flaw. What about these lists:
print(reversed_list([1, 2, 3], [1, 2, 3]))
print(reversed_list([1, 4, 5, 3], [3, 4, 5, 1]))

Your method will return True for both when it should return False.

2 Likes

I made it with list comprehensions and it works)

new_list = [number for number in range(len(lst1)) if lst1[number] == lst2[len(lst2)-number-1]]
if len(new_list) == len(lst1):
return True
else:
return False

Hello, @4210506100. Welcome to the forum. I love using list comprehension myself. You might consider whether you need an if ... else to return true or false? Using the list comprehension, your function could be reduced to a single line of code. One other point. Have you considered lists other than those provided in the exercise? How about: print(reversed_list([], [1, 2]))?

Thank you! Yes i am new in forum and didn’t find how to change name))

Yes it won’t work with that input “print(reversed_list(, [1, 2]))”, but in this task it says that “two lists of the same size” - it’s work only if so

1 Like

You are correct regarding the instructions. I just like to push the boundaries :slightly_smiling_face:

just change the test expression and it will work :

for i in range(len(lst1)):
    if lst1[i] != lst2[-1 - i]:
      return False
  return True

print(reversed_list([1, 2, 3], [3, 2, 1]))
#True
print(reversed_list([1, 5, 3], [3, 2, 1]))
#False