CSS Positioning: See it to believe it

I am working on the first task and not getting anywhere - it keeps telling me "Oops, try again. It looks like your border-width isn't 1px."

The task says: use the universal selector to draw a 1px dashed border of hex color #0000FF around every HTML element.
The hint says: The universal selector can be used to apply CSS styling to every element on the page. Here we create a two-pixel wide solid black border around every element on the HTML page.
* {
border: 2px solid #000000;
}

I've put in:
*{
border: 1px dashed #0000FF;
}

What am I doing wrong?! I've looked at the hint, and it seems the same to me, so I can't work out why it thinks I haven't done it right

Maybe u need to put a space between the * and the {

Thanks for the reply. I've tried it with and without the space, which doesn't seem to make any difference

hi megankinetix!
do you find the answer of the problem, I have put this code:

* {

}

and the response is "it looks like your color isn't #0000FF.

Hi digitalslayer17280,

It's still not working. I'm putting:

• {
    }

And the response I get is: "It looks like your border-width isn't 1px."

There is a slightly odd inconsistency, because in the example it shows "border" in red text, but mine is coming up in yellow - I don't know if that could be relevant at all? The 1px also show in different colours to the example...

Thanks!

this is a cite of leonhard_wettengmx_n user, try it

maybe...
under certain circumstances you can shoot your Browser in an
inconsistent state.

Therefor it is of an advantage to know that you have 2 reset facilities:

One is the use of the F5-key which does a refresh Browser

and

Two, select&copy your code
Then use the Reset Code button of the course-window,
then paste your code back in.

Addendum
General Notes:
Always refresh the browser after making corrections:
CTRL f5 ( if on Windows or Linux)
CMD r ( if on a MAC).

That's great - I've solved it now! The refresh and reset didn't help (I'd already tried that), but it did make me think to try a different browser. Chrome also didn't work, but for once IE was particularly useful and let me do it!

Thanks for the help

its so dumb. but you have to do this

• {
    border-style: dashed;
    border-width: 1px;
    border-color: #0000ff;
    }

i have tried this one but it still shows "It looks like your border-width isn't 1px.".

It seemed like my browser got itself tied up in knots - I'd recommend doing the rests and maybe trying in different browsers to see if that helps. That's what finally worked for me - there was nothing wrong with what I'd written at all!

Having the exact same problem.

Typed in the code

* {
}

and the error is: "Oops, try again. It looks like your border-width isn't 1px."

Fixing the zoom solved the problem for me!

Having the same problem with Firefox. Tried reset code which didn't help. I will try another browser too.

Yes! Using IE this time did it.

HI! It's works http://joxi.ru/EA4vEqEFDb8K4m

I am frustrated because I have checked the zoom, manipulated the code, used both firefox and chrome, and the exercise will not allow me to successfully complete the task. Has anybody found a solution that works?

To anyone still following this thread, the only consistently effective solution I've found to this bug is to try the exercise in another browser. This has happened with more than one example; Internet Explorer or Safari seem to be the safest options. Hope this helps!

I had the same code as you did and ran into the same problem. If you are on Chrome, try using 67% zoom size as this was the solution to couple of problems on this course.