CSS not clicking with me

I’m currently working on the Tea Cozy project (https://www.codecademy.com/paths/front-end-engineer-career-path/tracks/fecp-22-making-a-website-responsive/modules/wdcp-22-layout-with-flexbox/projects/tea-cozy) and it made me realize just how little I have been able to grasp when it comes to display and positioning, especially flexbox.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am beyond frustrated and would really like to develop and understanding of these important concepts.

Hey, welcome to the forums!

FWIW, it’s completely normal and understandable, CSS is one of those things (at least imo) that is fairly difficult to get your head around how to properly use it so don’t worry too much, it’ll come with time!

Specific to flexbox, this little game: https://flexboxfroggy.com/ is perhaps a little silly at first glance, but it’s a really effective and useful tool to practise flex imo.

More generally, the best way to get better with a tool/concept you don’t understand as well is just to practice it. For practicing positioning specifically, one of the best ways in my opinion is just to make a few blank (colored) divs, and practice some different ways of moving them around/positioning them using the concepts you’ve learned and especially the ones you don’t understand as well. As with almost all things learning the code, the more you do the better you’ll become at them and eventually it’ll just be muscle memory.

Happy coding! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

One thing I can suggest that has helped me some. Look at trying to break down the page into sections. Like the mission section, the tea section, the footer section. Work on one section to get that to work, then go down the page and get the next section to work. I working on the same project and having my location image work in the CSS.
I also have the deer in the headlights look, when it comes to my lack of grasping everything.

3 Likes

Hey there! I recently found another game that might be helpful (aswell as beautifully designed) to grasp Flexbox properties. The beggining is quite repetitive however I would recommend you to play a little bit, and afterwards playaround with your Text Editor and then keep playing.

Flexbox Zombies

Have fun:)

2 Likes