Creating A React App -- Error attempting "npm install -g create-react-app"

https://www.codecademy.com/paths/web-development/tracks/front-end-applications-with-react/modules/ravenous-part-one/articles/how-to-create-a-react-app

When I enter “npm install -g create-react-app” into my terminal, it starts to install but then I get this error message:

npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /usr/local/lib/node_modules
npm ERR! path /usr/local/lib/node_modules
npm ERR! code EACCES
npm ERR! errno -13
npm ERR! syscall access
npm ERR! Error: EACCES: permission denied, access ‘/usr/local/lib/node_modules’
npm ERR! { [Error: EACCES: permission denied, access ‘/usr/local/lib/node_modules’]
npm ERR! stack:
npm ERR! ‘Error: EACCES: permission denied, access ‘/usr/local/lib/node_modules’’,
npm ERR! errno: -13,
npm ERR! code: ‘EACCES’,
npm ERR! syscall: ‘access’,
npm ERR! path: ‘/usr/local/lib/node_modules’ }
npm ERR!
npm ERR! The operation was rejected by your operating system.
npm ERR! It is likely you do not have the permissions to access this file as the current user
npm ERR!
npm ERR! If you believe this might be a permissions issue, please double-check the
npm ERR! permissions of the file and its containing directories, or try running
npm ERR! the command again as root/Administrator (though this is not recommended).

I’ve gone into that file to change access to read and write, but every time I try to run the code, its a different file blocking me.

It feels like a mistake to change permissions one by one every time, am I doing something wrong?

This link solved my problem.

I’m a little disappointed that of the dozens of posts for help almost none of them have any responses from Codecademy…

posts do sometimes slip through the cracks

you do understand by now that -g means you want to install the package globally (for all users)? This does require “administrator” privileges indeed.

you can also install the package only for your current user, then you don’t need special permission

I wasted an hour digging around online when i should have just gone with whitepk86’s answer. Codecademy should update their instructions at https://www.codecademy.com/paths/web-development/tracks/front-end-applications-with-react/modules/ravenous-part-one/articles/how-to-create-a-react-app to reflect this difficulty that seems to be very commonly encountered

I had the same problem. @whitepk86 's solution worked for me as well, thanks!

@stetim94 I do have admin privileges; is there a step you have to take before the Terminal will recognize this? Also, I don’t remember learning about -g yet in Codecademy. :wink: An update to the article, as flexidex suggests would be appreciated. (new users can only mention 2 people)

yes, you need to run the command as root (admin). the Sudo program is often used for this

Got it! Thanks for your help!