Course question on python

From quite a lot of educating sources like book and youtube videos about programming, I am getting an impression that not many sources talk about what is happening on “memory level”. What I mean is that not many people seem to talk about what happens to RAM when some code runs. I would like to understand what is happening on “memory level”, only then I feel like I would really understand coding.
Then what books or what college courses should be looking for?

You must select a tag to post in this category. Please find the tag relating to the section of the course you are on E.g. loops, learn-compatibility

When you ask a question, don’t forget to include a link to the exercise or project you’re dealing with!

If you want to have the best chances of getting a useful answer quickly, make sure you follow our guidelines about how to ask a good question. That way you’ll be helping everyone – helping people to answer your question and helping others who are stuck to find the question and answer! :slight_smile:

It’s not something I know about extensively so perhaps someone more knowledgeable can lodge a better answer or you’ll just have to keep searching around till you find a source that meets your requirements. For Python memory management is largely automated and you rarely need to know what’s happening. RAM itself is whole different kettle of fish managed by the OS but if you’re looking for a more fundamental look at what’s being stored in memory I’d probably start with a lower level language and start looking into binary representation, bits and bytes.

I’m afraid I don’t have a good single source for it but there are numerous guides about this for various different levels of understanding.

You should look into the topic of data structures. There are many easily accessible books and great youtube video series (lots of top universities offer this for free, here’s a link to one playlist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgCnMvvw6Oo&list=PLpPXw4zFa0uKKhaSz87IowJnOTzh9tiBk).

Python is not a particularly fast programming language, even for the high-level ones (Java, C++). It is good to know when you program what the memory impact is of your code particularly as it scales up, so data structures is kind of fundamental as a versatile programmer (imho).

2 Likes