Course is stuck and won't allow me to progress

In Learn Python 2 - Pyglatin #10 ending up. I push run and the little circle just keeps turning. Can’t go forward. Can’t get anything to work.

I suspect you might have an infinite loop in there. Try resetting the page and checking for that.

You can share the code here if you want help troubleshooting it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Link to course: Pyg Latin

There is an intermittent problem with the user interface in the Pyg Latin course. Sometimes the system fails to accept input from the user, and eventually times out with a message similar to this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "python", line 4, in <module>
ExecTimeoutException: Program took too long to terminate.

If that keeps occurring at any stage, you can use the following workaround:

Comment out the raw_input statement, as follows:

# original = raw_input("Enter a word: ")

Then assign a string value directly to original, like this:

original = "alphabet"

The remainder of the program will behave as if you entered the string in response to the prompt.

When testing the program, you can try out assigning an empty string, an invalid word, or whatever you need.

While the workaround is not quite what the author of the course had in mind, it will get you through, if that is what is necessary.

Edited on July 26, 2020 to suggest assigning a variety of strings for testing purposes

1 Like

You may have tried this already, but you have to give a left mouse button click in the console pane before you can type your input. If that doesn’t work, follow @appylpye’s workaround. Good luck!