Course Down?

Okay, well you're right, it should work. You're OS is completely updated so it's not your computer. This sounds dumb, but how do you check your safari version? I don't know why this is happening. It's really only you who has this problem so it has to be on your end I think... :unamused: This is frustrating for you though, I'm sure.

Go to Safari > About Safari

I think I found the issue. Its your web certificate it's throwing exceptions in the console.

Something to note too, the Java course has no issues in loading. And the Java course has no codex resource listed in network resources.

Okay, so it's just with python... And you're computer is completely updated. I wish I knew more. I really can't help past this because you probably know more about it than me, but good luck, and hopefully somebody can help you fix the problem.

Thanks for looking into this.
Does help desk mean you work for CodeAcademy? Or just help in the forums as a volunteer?
Because if you work for CodeAcademy, perhaps you can escalate the issue upwards?

It's about it, how many accepted solutions you have got.

1 solution = Apprentice
10 solutions = Bronze
50 solutions = Silver
100 solutions = Gold
500 solutions = Gold(500)

I will get bronze soon.

I don't haha, it's just a badge you get after so many people say that your answers are correct. Moderators are probably your best bet, which I can invite with the invite button, (I'll do that), but I'll see what I can do. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help! I'm trying to brush up on Python for a new job. :slight_smile:

It's written as CodeCademy, by the way :wink:

That is so awesome!!! Good luck with that! How about trying other websites that do python until you get some help with this?
http://www.programmr.com
http://codingbat.com/java
are a couple.
This post:

shows a whole list of additional websites :slight_smile:

I warmly, WARMLY recommend SoloLearn, too. It maybe isn't as good as Codecademy, but it offers alot of languages with interactive lessons. I'm currently learning there C++.

https://www.sololearn.com

Hey, thanks for that! I don't have any other websites to learn code, and I've finished most of the stuff on codeCademy besides stuff like HTML that I'm waiting on learning. I'm looking to learn C++ or C# or objective C or really anything lol. :slight_smile:

Take C++... Just take it

we are getting a bit off topic here, @kyleaw, i think you will introduction to computer science on edx, it teaches C, but it also explains a lot of useful background information.

There are a ton of free resources online. https://learnpythonthehardway.org/ is recommended by Women Who Code. I enjoyed the EdX course CS50 it's a blast. I thought I'd come here to brush up on python and java in one place - I'm already a developer changing positions. The JS course here was a good self-paced start on the road to development.

Also, Lynda.com has an excellent course on the command line. Favorite class thus far.

@stetim94 thanks for popping into our thread! Do you have any ideas on the domain issue? I'd love to use this resource.

no, i have no idea, let me ask around

@artlady I think codex.codecademy.com is only used on the older courses, which are being phased out. Are you able to access any of the other old courses, such as Ruby?

I don't understand why only codex.codecademy.com is causing an error for you, however. When I visited https://codex.codecademy.com and inspected the certificate, this is what I saw:

They're using a wildcard certificate, there, the same one used on www.codecademy.com. Is it really only that one subdomain giving you an error? That sounds pretty odd to me.

If you visit codex.codecademy.com itself, do you get any errors? In Firefox, I know that sometimes you'll be presented with a warning that the page is insecure, but you can add it's certificate and trust it anyway in some cases. Are you able to do that here?

Hi @zystvan,

I do think it's something with that subdomain, however the Ruby course has the same issue too with the constant buffer. When I attempt to visit the subdomain directly, I'm presented with the insecure cert. I'd prefer not to accept insecure credentials, because who knows who redirected you to some mirror site.
It's not good practice to accept insecure credentials, ever.

I spun up a VirtualBox VM with linux, and it runs fine on Firefox there. So I'm all set. Thanks for your help!

You're correct it's bad practice to visit an insecure site; I guess I shouldn't try to justify that suggestion.

I'm still perplexed as to just why you get an insecure certificate on that domain, and only that domain though. If you ever figure out what's causing it, please let me know.

I'm glad you were able to find a solution, albeit a somewhat inconvenient one for you :slight_smile: I'll mark your post as the solution to this topic.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.