Course Certificate Dates

Once you obtain a certificate for a course, the date you earned it is displayed on the certificate. However, if you go back and complete any module, quiz, article, or project, you get a new certificate with a new date.

It would make more sense to keep certificates unchanging, especially if they are intended to be shown to others as proof of working with a language/concept for a certain amount of time.

I believe you can download the certificates, and the date on the downloaded one wouldn’t change.

However, the dates of the certificates on your profile page display a newer date.

I just realized, there may be value in the system kicking out new certificates, as follows:

1. You complete the course and get your certificate on March 30, 2021.
  2. In April, the course is updated, with a new module added.
  3. You complete the module in May, and get a new certificate with the May date – which in effect shows that you have completed the recently added module.

Value? Yes, although not a great amount.

This is a problem if you have complete the Licenses & Certifications in LinkedIn with a link to your Codecademy certificate or Codecademy profile.
If the date is updated in the certificate but you forgot to update it in LinkedIn it seems that you are lying about your knowledge.
I would rather prefere to keep the first date in the certificate and show both dates (the original date and the updated one) if you do the updated course.