Content Creator Contracting Project Help - How to start

I’m currently on the Content Creator Contracting Project and I have absolutely no idea how to begin.(https://www.codecademy.com/paths/create-a-back-end-app-with-javascript/tracks/bapi-javascript-conditionals-and-functions/modules/developing-javascript-apps-locally/informationals/bapi-p0-content-creators)

I am also unsure of what the question is asking for. Thus, I need help with:

1. Understanding the question better
  2. Starting the project and having a guided step

Appreciate any help given here!

4 Likes

Hello community, I am also lost. I installed a couple of software dev kits (git, node.js, visual studio code) and got lost afterwards. The instructions in the project say …

“To run these tests, first open the root project directory in your terminal. Then run npm install to install all necessary testing dependencies (you will only need to do this step once). Finally, run npm run test. You will see a list of tests that ran with information about whether or not each test passed. After this list, you will see more specific output about why each failing test failed.”

… so I opened Visual Studio Code and opened the project on highest level in terminal and typed in ‘npm install’ - the terminal showed the following error message:

• CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (npm:String) , CommandNotFoundException
  • FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Am I in the wrong dev kit, or on the wrong hierachy level?

Appreciate any help given here,
Max

Solved the problem by trail and error. Unpacked downloaded data in C:/users/username and opened with node.js command prompt by entering ‘npm install’ . It’s a bit messy, because data is without a folder, but it worked. It returned some test feedback after ‘npm run test’. I guess next step is to fix the reported problems.
@codeacademy : would be good to add some additional hints in the task

1 Like

I’m shocked with the insane lack of clarity in how to do this. NOT helpful. No video. No step by step. No checks to help you understand what you’re supposed to do.
No quiz, no screenshot. Nothing.

1 Like

Hi @jononovo, did @method7493314847 's response here help you at all? I’m raising your concerns to our content improvement team.

I’m in the same stage of the course experiencing the same unclarities.
Looking at the solution code, the objective is more clear.
Here is how i interpret the instruction:

you will need to implement the functionality for determining content types for 'text/html', 'text/css', 'image/jpeg', and 'text/plain'. For more information on this functionality, run the testing suite (detailed below).’

I interpret this as:
‘run a succesful testing suite, and you will get some kind of clarity about what to do .’

This is where it goes wrong, since the installation of the ‘npm install’ test suite already gives a bunch of error’s . This problem actually starts 2 articles before the start of the project. I have just opened a topic about this:

Whats missing is a proper instruction on setting up the test suite, and what a functioning test setup should look like / the result of a fully funtioning npm test or npm run test.

I still don’t know if i have the right setup?

when i try npm run test in either the -start or -solution version of this project, i get the following error message:

pm ERR! content-creators@1.0.0 test: mocha

npm ERR! spawn ENOENT

npm ERR!

npm ERR! Failed at the content-creators@1.0.0 test script.

npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm WARN Local package.json exists, but node_modules missing, did you mean to install?

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:

npm ERR! /Users/arejas/.npm/_logs/2020-03-17T23_57_37_384Z-debug.log

I hope you can answer my question and improve the content :slight_smile: so far i have been very satisfied with the courses.

cheers
Michiel

1 Like

Hello alyssavigil,

I agree with the other students in this thread in that this project is very difficult to grasp. This project throws you into the deep end without question.

If I can suggest more practical and working knowledge around Mocha, Chai and bash (the articles provided are very high level and not sufficient) before expecting students to run it in command line.

An example I can give you is ‘npm run test’ gave me a whole lot of code in bash that was entirely unfamiliar, and Codecademy had not provided the requisite knowledge to know what I was looking for in a successful/unsuccessful test (it took me ages to figure out that it wasn’t even running the test, and I needed to install mocha and Chai manually for some reason. No idea why ‘npm install’ didn’t work).

Once I got the test working, I had no idea where to start to solve each test. Which I think is a lack of understanding of the problem being solved (what is the getContentType () actually supposed to do, and why?).

Up to this point, the path is exceptional and I feel like I’m learning quickly. Keep it up.

Thanks!