Congratulationth! Help please

https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/ruby-beginner-en-JdNDe/0/8?curriculum_id=5059f8619189a5000201fbcb

Hey guys,

I'm trying to include the "while" but whenever I do the system simply ignores the first part:

if user_input.include? "s"
user_input.gsub!(/s/, "th")
else
"There was no S here"
end

So, if I remove the "while" it works well and it replaces the /s/ to "th" but if I add the "while" code, the while works but it wont replace the /s/ to "th" anylonger, am I doing wrong here? My code below: thanks for the help

print "Anything please"
user_input = gets.chomp
user_input.downcase!

else
    "There was no S here"
end

while user_input.empty?
puts "You have to reentry"
user_input = gets.chomp
end

puts "Your string now is #{user_input}"

theres no escape from your loop. you would be better off adding the if statement into the while loop also. i am not really sure why the while loop takes over for the if though. when you look it up they have the same level of precedence. if you had a break and the if after it would work.

Actually it didnt work! the ELSE command stops working! I get the loop, but if I type anything other than S it wont trigger the ELSE! :frowning:

print "Anything please"
user_input = gets.chomp
user_input.downcase!

while user_input.empty?
user_input = gets.chomp
puts "You have to reentry"

end

else
"There was no S here"
end

puts "Your string now is #{user_input}"

How would it look or how would it be different?

Oh... got it now! it was because of the PUTS! If i remove it, it works! haha :slight_smile: thanks mate

Sorry didn't see the other post in your while statement you can have the puts just add

break

After the puts and before the end keyword

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.