Confused about the use of self in shopping cart exercise

https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/python-intermediate-en-WL8e4/1/5?curriculum_id=4f89dab3d788890003000096

if not product in self.items_in_cart:
            self.items_in_cart[product] = price
            print product + " added."

In the above code, why is "self.items_in_cart[product] = price" used? Shouldn't it just be "items_in_cart[produt] = price"

from this exercise we could deduce that items_in_cart is a member variable, agree? (just like is_alive in the exercise where this is explained)

member variables are automatically accessible to methods through self. This is why you use self

so "self.product = product
self.price = price"
is not always necessary. It can be done in this format as well.

yes, but member variables are the same for all instances of the object, this is not the case for variable you pass to __init__(), they can vary for every object instance

that's my confusion. items_in_the_cart is a member variable and product and price are variables passed in add_items. Like in Override!
class Employee(object):
"""Models real-life employees!"""
def init(self, employee_name):
self.employee_name = employee_name

def calculate_wage(self, hours):
    self.hours = hours
    return hours * 20.00

calculate_wage uses self.hours. I am confused when to use self. and when not. Please help me clear this.

yes, and you pass price and add_item into __init__() so you can access them through self in all methods. Member variables (items_in_the_cart) are automatically added to self.

no? you make hours available through self in this line:

self.hours = hours

but this time, you don't do it in __init__(). you don't have to make variables through self in __init__() perse. you can do this in other methods as well. which is what you do in calculate_wage.

yes, and you pass price and add_item into __init__() so you can access them through self in all methods. Member variables (items_in_the_cart) are automatically added to self.

so we use init() and self. so that we can access them in any method in the class. Right?

yes, exactly

thanks aton bro. :grinning: