Concept of implicit variables?

I don't really have an exercise that I'm stuck at, but I do have a concept that I can't seem to understand. For example (taking an example from the exercise):

board = []

for i in range(0,5):
board.append(["O"] * 5)

print (board)

There is no instance of "i" anywhere else except right before the range. Why isn't there a syntax error (Something like NameError: name 'i' is not defined)? How does "i" just implied to be a variable that is a placeholder?

Thank you in advance!

Best,
John

But it is defined so no exception is raised. In this instance i acts as an internal counter, even though it is not referenced in the loop. It is a perfectly valid way to iterate over a set range.

Hmm... I guess its kinda difficult to wrap my head around it.

Usually I can tell that my code makes sense when I look at it as a sentence. But if someone were to tell me a sentence such as:

"For anything in range of 0 to 5, write this thing I gave you", I wouldn't understand the directions.

How does the computer implicitly know that the variable 'anything' is a direction to count from 0 all the way to 5?

I guess to summarize my question, how does the computer know that the variable that I just randomly assigned is an internal counter?

(Thank you so much for your quick response!)

It uses the variable defined in the for statement and automatically accumulates it on each iteration. A for statement is an iterator (see, __iter__(), __next__() and StopIteration).

You're telling it what values to produce by providing an iterable. Here, you're using the range function to create a list of values, the loop will step through that list and assign each value to the variable name that you specified (i)
So i isn't a counter of any kind, it is one of the values that range produced

I think I get it now. Thank you guys both! :slight_smile: