Comments & Suggestions for Codecademy Developers

NO HELP NEEDED
This is just a general comment about the program. I couldn’t find the forum dedicated to comments and suggestions, so I decided to create one in the lesson I am currently learning, which is CSS.

Now…

Dear Codecademy developers,

YOU GUYS SHOULD REALLY LOOK OVER YOUR CODE WHEN WRITING THESE PROGRAMS!
I don’t mean to yell, but I very highly value accuracy and precision, especially when it comes to platforms that depend heavily on communication skills, like e-learning.

The first and most important one of all is the experience I just had in the CSS course. When I ran my code, it kept telling me it was wrong, even though the output was exactly what it was supposed to be. I ran it 3 more times before viewing the solution and, guess what? My code was EXACTLY what the solution was, so that tells me there is a bug in your code, not mine.

Second, I also took the HTML course which was so full of English grammatical errors that it became increasingly frustrating to continue in the lesson. I passed the course with flying colors, also with a migraine!

Third, not everyone on your platform listens to Korean pop music, so to connect better with your audience, please be more general in your “clever” references.

It’s really important that you guys/gals remember that this is a visual communication tool. This platform is really great for learning! The styling is great and makes learning fun, but understanding includes being able to accurately decode the meaning of words and it makes it hard for the human brain to decode words that are spelled incorrectly, or don’t make grammatical sense.

Also, take care to ensure the quality of your program code from the user-end. Please check for bugs, so that the users are not left wondering where we went wrong in a code that we didn’t actually get wrong.

Sincerely,
Aly.

[edit: I will update this post as I continue on in the course because I keep experiencing more and more issues as I go along]

Additional Issue #1: The CSS quiz for the 1st lesson included a question about the ! import rule, but the rule is not taught until the second lesson, so it makes NO SENSE to have the rule as a quiz question in the first lesson! (WTF???!)

Additional Issue #2: the syntax for the background image code is taught as url (“blah/blah.jpg”) in the lesson, but when you go to run the code with the quotations in the syntax, it renders incorrect. Please teach the syntax in the lesson as it is accepted by program.

Additional Issue #3: In the chaining lesson, when the style is applied to the h5 elements, the instructions say to notice that the h5 elements didn’t change, but this is incorrect. The h5 elements DID change, which was the “by author name”, it was the h5 elements that were linked to the .destination class that didn’t change. This is a grammatical error and the correct english syntax for this would have been “please note how the h5 elements in the destination class did not change.” Grammar and sentence structure matter when you are teaching complex concepts!

Since I can’t edit my own post anymore, I had to post a comment.

Any who:

this… In one line, set the .navigation li elements to have 20 pixels of padding. Click Run and observe their change.

The bolded part of the instructions are unnecessary and created confusion for me. Just say “in .navigation li, set the padding to 20px.”

You guys are annoying with the wordiness of these instructions. It really doesn’t have to be that confusing.

[edit] Once again in the CSS lesson, specifically the overflow module, my code was marked incorrect but when I did the solution, it was the same code I entered… overflow: scroll;

The Box Model, Padding module says : The first value, 5px , sets the padding value for the top and bottom sides of the content. The second value, 10px , sets the padding value for the left and right sides of the content.

Yet, in the quiz for this lesson, the question that asks what is the correct code for padding that has 40 px top and bottom, and a 30 px left and right, it says the correct answer is padding: 30px 40px; because for padding the code renders the vertical first and the horizontal second.

the last time I checked… the top and bottom lines of a box are horizontal (horizontal = horizon= dividing line= straight across), and the left and right lines of a box are vertical (vertical = vertices = the highest point), which means that if the first value is for the top and bottom, then the first value is horizontal, not vertical. Also, if the code renders clockwise, then it’s illogical for it to start vertically, since that would mean it would start in the 9, 10, and 11 o’clock hour, which is the left of the clock. Clockwise starts at the top of the clock, which is equivalent to the top of the box, which is horizontal.

Jeez.

Not a public concern so unlisted. The audience that needs to see this still can. The member still has subscription to this topic.